VMware {code} Community
derekevn
Contributor
Contributor

InvalidType Exception returned from PowerDownHostToStandBy_Task

When I attempt to put a host into standby using PowerDownHostToStandBy_Task, the task completes with an error of InvalidType fault (localized message is "The request refers to an unexpected or unknown type."). The InvalidType argument property is:

I am passing the ManagedObjectReference for a valid HostSystem (capability.standbySupported = true) along with a 0 timeout and false for the evacuatePoweredOffVms parameter. There is no further information about this error.

What can cause this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tos2k
Expert
Expert

Hi,

according to the provided "InvalidType argument property", can you verify that you did not provide the computeResource of the host, instead of the Host?

Tos2k

0 Kudos
derekevn
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it is a managed object reference to a HostSystem.

2860_2860.png

0 Kudos
ssurana
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Apart from the check points that you have already covered, below are few additional points to note:

1. The host needs to be a part of a valid cluster.

2. The host should be set up correctly for the VMotion capability.

3. The NIC attached to the host should have "Wake on LAN supported".

4. There must exist another ESX host in the same subnet as of this host which can then wake up this server using the Wake on LAN facility.

Please make sure that you have the above settings in your environment, then you should be able to perform the operation.

Please do let us know how it goes for you.

Hope the above information helps.

~ Sidharth

0 Kudos
derekevn
Contributor
Contributor

It now works as expected once verifying the items in your list. The prerequisites for this operation had not previously been clear.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
derekevn
Contributor
Contributor

I created a new thread for the next issue I ran into with the Host

tasks:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/153828

Perhaps you could take a quick look to see if this is something you can

help with. This one looks to be a bug in the API.

0 Kudos