SVMotion is a VI 2.5 client plugin (the FIRST released, third-party plugin in fact) that extends the client's functionality by providing an integrated, graphical tool that can be used to invoke storage VMotion (SVMotion) operations. This plugin is not supported by VMware. In fact, the plugin is not anywhere close to supported by VMware because it is the result of a two-week dive into the inner-workings of the VI client libraries with popular reflection tools (reverse-engineering). l o s t c r e a t i o n s is working on a white paper that describes how to build VI plugins.
Read more about SVMotion and download it here http://www.lostcreations.com/code/wiki/vmware/viplugins/svmotion.
Ha, that's absolutely true. I'll check with those in charge of SVMotion on concurrent storage moves.
And if no-one has told you this today let me just say, "YOU ROCK!"
I tested the PlugIn today, and the move worked fine, but the VM still shows that it is occupying something on the source LUN. There is no trace of it on the source LUN that I can see, but the VIC won't see that it only physically exists on the target LUN. This something others have seen? I looked at the trackers and I didn't see anything that was really like this. I did see some stuff about cleaning up, but I don't see any trace of the VM on the source LUN to clean up. Restarted the VIC client a couple times too, and tried it from different machines, and they all show that VM1 is touching LUN1 and LUN2, when it is only really living on LUN2. This is on the 'Summary' tab, btw.
We really need something like this, so thanks for putting the effort into it. I know lots people are appreciating your talents right now :smileygrin:
New to the tool. I was wondering if the tool has the ability to run as a scheduled task? It would be nice to setup the option to do the activity during a lower I/O intensive time frame, without having to be around to manually do it. I just wanted to check before I actually use the product.
I saw a previous comment about the 407 Proxy error when trying to enable the plugin but no real resolution. Our corporate policy prevents me from altering those proxy settings,
so I would really appreciate any information on what this plugin is trying to do, or how I might be able to work around or resolve this message.
Also getting the following error when attempting to enable the plugin:
The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.
Disabling proxy settings is not possible in some environments, mine is one of them.
okay so no disabling proxy.
have you tried bypassing the proxy for local addresses and/or using proxy exceptions?
the key point in my situation was that the proxy setting from ie were being used by either the plugin or the viclient.
I would find a way to bypass the proxy limitations of my network, rather than get a developer to change the way they determine proxy conguration.
If you're stuck using a proxy server, then use SSH Tunneling to redirect local traffic through your firewall. If only 80/443 ports are allowed out, then SSH to the external server through either port by having the external server listen on one of those ports. Viola!
will this plug-in work with vCenter 2.5 U4 or U5
where Information Lives
If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
Jag har semester och är tillbaka den 10:e augusti.
Behöver ni hjälp med något, ring kontoret på 011-4708400
Ha en trevlig sommar !!!
Med Vänliga Hälsningar
Skolg. 6, Box 1404
600 44 Norrköping
It worked on my VC2.5
16GB dead-VM moved within 7 minutes to same SAN, different LUN via FC.
16GB liv-VM moved within 6 minutes to same SAN, different LUN through FC.
Thanks for the good work.
Keep it up!