VMware {code} Community
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Introducing the VI 2.5 Client Plugin - SVMotion

SVMotion is a VI 2.5 client plugin (the FIRST released, third-party plugin in fact) that extends the client's functionality by providing an integrated, graphical tool that can be used to invoke storage VMotion (SVMotion) operations. This plugin is not supported by VMware. In fact, the plugin is not anywhere close to supported by VMware because it is the result of a two-week dive into the inner-workings of the VI client libraries with popular reflection tools (reverse-engineering). l o s t c r e a t i o n s is working on a white paper that describes how to build VI plugins.

Read more about SVMotion and download it here http://www.lostcreations.com/code/wiki/vmware/viplugins/svmotion.

0 Kudos
178 Replies
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That's really a question for the inventors of SVMotion. The tool

simply calls the right APIs. Glad you like it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
djpark
Contributor
Contributor

Ha, that's absolutely true. I'll check with those in charge of SVMotion on concurrent storage moves.

And if no-one has told you this today let me just say, "YOU ROCK!"

-David J. Park Principal Systems Archiect Twitter @djitnet
0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Smiley Happy

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 27, 2009, at 3:51 PM, djpark <communities-emailer@vmware.com

0 Kudos
Ted_Gertsch
Contributor
Contributor

COuld someone please tell me the best site to download the svmotion plugin from

0 Kudos
mdinsmore223
Contributor
Contributor

I tested the PlugIn today, and the move worked fine, but the VM still shows that it is occupying something on the source LUN. There is no trace of it on the source LUN that I can see, but the VIC won't see that it only physically exists on the target LUN. This something others have seen? I looked at the trackers and I didn't see anything that was really like this. I did see some stuff about cleaning up, but I don't see any trace of the VM on the source LUN to clean up. Restarted the VIC client a couple times too, and tried it from different machines, and they all show that VM1 is touching LUN1 and LUN2, when it is only really living on LUN2. This is on the 'Summary' tab, btw.

We really need something like this, so thanks for putting the effort into it. I know lots people are appreciating your talents right now :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
dougm
Contributor
Contributor

It has been moved to SourceForge.

hope this helps

0 Kudos
Khue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey all,

New to the tool. I was wondering if the tool has the ability to run as a scheduled task? It would be nice to setup the option to do the activity during a lower I/O intensive time frame, without having to be around to manually do it. I just wanted to check before I actually use the product.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
pscott-davis
Contributor
Contributor

I saw a previous comment about the 407 Proxy error when trying to enable the plugin but no real resolution. Our corporate policy prevents me from altering those proxy settings,

so I would really appreciate any information on what this plugin is trying to do, or how I might be able to work around or resolve this message.

Thx!

0 Kudos
ccoagerdv
Contributor
Contributor

Also getting the following error when attempting to enable the plugin:

The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.

Disabling proxy settings is not possible in some environments, mine is one of them.

0 Kudos
mickregan
Contributor
Contributor

okay so no disabling proxy.

have you tried bypassing the proxy for local addresses and/or using proxy exceptions?

the key point in my situation was that the proxy setting from ie were being used by either the plugin or the viclient.

I would find a way to bypass the proxy limitations of my network, rather than get a developer to change the way they determine proxy conguration.

Cheers

mickregan

0 Kudos
ccoagerdv
Contributor
Contributor

With group policies enabled, this is not possible.

0 Kudos
gconklin
Contributor
Contributor

If you're stuck using a proxy server, then use SSH Tunneling to redirect local traffic through your firewall. If only 80/443 ports are allowed out, then SSH to the external server through either port by having the external server listen on one of those ports. Viola!

0 Kudos
ccoagerdv
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is you cannot enable the plugin. As soon as you check the Enabled checkbox you get the error.

0 Kudos
Kosch
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for providing this GUI. This will save alot of time when doing storage consolidation excercises!

Works ok on ESX 3.5u4 with VC 2.5 (build 147633)

0 Kudos
Itzikr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

will this plug-in work with vCenter 2.5 U4 or U5

Itzik Reich

Solutions Architect

VCP,VTSP,MCTS,MCITP,MCSE,CCA,CCNA

EMC²

where Information Lives

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Itzik Reich
0 Kudos
pp1
Contributor
Contributor

Hej

Jag har semester och är tillbaka den 10:e augusti.

Behöver ni hjälp med något, ring kontoret på 011-4708400

Ha en trevlig sommar !!!

Med Vänliga Hälsningar

Peter Överhem

LAN Assistans

Skolg. 6, Box 1404

600 44 Norrköping

Dir: 011-4708412

Vxl: 011-4708400

Fax: 011-184515

www.lanassistans.se<www.lanassistans.se%20

0 Kudos
GlennBrett
Contributor
Contributor

nvm!

0 Kudos
mw4tkn
Contributor
Contributor

I want to use this tool to migrate my VC to another datastore, which itself is a VC. Does anyone see any problems with this?

0 Kudos
kdennyboy
Contributor
Contributor

It worked on my VC2.5

16GB dead-VM moved within 7 minutes to same SAN, different LUN via FC.

16GB liv-VM moved within 6 minutes to same SAN, different LUN through FC.

Thanks for the good work.

Keep it up!

0 Kudos