VMware {code} Community
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Introducing the VI 2.5 Client Plugin - SVMotion

SVMotion is a VI 2.5 client plugin (the FIRST released, third-party plugin in fact) that extends the client's functionality by providing an integrated, graphical tool that can be used to invoke storage VMotion (SVMotion) operations. This plugin is not supported by VMware. In fact, the plugin is not anywhere close to supported by VMware because it is the result of a two-week dive into the inner-workings of the VI client libraries with popular reflection tools (reverse-engineering). l o s t c r e a t i o n s is working on a white paper that describes how to build VI plugins.

Read more about SVMotion and download it here http://www.lostcreations.com/code/wiki/vmware/viplugins/svmotion.

0 Kudos
178 Replies
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My site is fubarred today! Smiley Sad I've contacted my provider to look into it. FYI - I am pulling the server version of the plugin as it causes too many support headaches for me.

0 Kudos
cgdii
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Akutz,

Love the tool, but just found a bug. When you migrate a Raw Disk, it thinks the size of the VM is all of the disk sizes combined, not just the VMDK files. I am attempting to migrate a VM that has one 36 GB VMDK file and a Raw Device that is 480 GB in size. Since I don't have any Datastores that large, your plug-in sn't allowing me to move it. Is there any way to disable the verification piece?

0 Kudos
dougm
Contributor
Contributor

Probably a silly question, but what compatibility mode is your RDM in? This may make a difference in how the tool validates the move.

0 Kudos
cgdii
Contributor
Contributor

All of them are in Phyiscal Compatability Mode. I was able to work around this issue by removing the RDM, migrating the vm storage, and then reattaching the RDM with the exact same settings (SCSI Id, HD number, etc.). Unforunately this forced me to offline the VM for the duration of this move. After messing with this, it seems that this is a limitation with ESX 3.5 and how it handles RDM, and not the SVMotion tool.

0 Kudos
John_Bergin
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone else have trouble downloading this? I can't get any of the links to work.

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Check out the about page of my blog: http://akutz.wordpress.com/.

0 Kudos
John_Bergin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

None of the links are working!!!

0 Kudos
John_Bergin
Contributor
Contributor

If you go to the about page on his blog you can grab the latest version. I went and got that but for some reason it is listed as installed but not available. I got an error the first time I ran VIC after install but it never came back. Very odd. Maybe I will uninstall the VIC and then reinstall everything.

0 Kudos
rott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

ich befinde mich bis zum 19.06.2008 im Urlaub und kann Ihre Nachrichten nur verzögert bearbeiten.

Bei technischen Fragen zu PRIMERGY Hardware bzw. Software wenden Sie sich bitte an die PRIMERGY Hotline: 0180 / 3777-006.

Bei sonstigen Fragen wenden Sie sich bitte an das Ressource Management ( entweder Fr. Anders-Wnek: 0211 / 6178 - 2260, Fr. Steinborn: 0211 / 6178 - 2977 oder an die Ressource Management Hotline: 0800 /1182166 )

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Michael Rottlaender

IT-Solution Engineer

Professional Services Organisation

Fujitsu Siemens Computers GmbH

Gladbecker Str. 7

40472 Duesseldorf

Telephone +49 (0) 211 6178 2234

Telefax +49 (0) 211 6178 16 2234

Mobile +49 (0) 175 220 8242

Email mailto:michael.rottlaender@fujitsu-siemens.com

Internet http://www.fujitsu-siemens.de

0 Kudos
Randy_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does anyone have a copy of this plugin? I can't get any link to work and have about 40 VM's to move in a pretty urgent way. I can't seem to get the other GUI that is out there to work. If so, can you zip and email to randy98109@comcast.net? For now, I'm plodding along with the command line....

Thanks!

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Randy,

I just confirmed that http://akutz.googlecode.com/files/SVMotionClientSetup-0.4.4.msi

does work. This is what is linked from my blog. You probably have an

old link. The new website is http://akutz.wordpress.com.

--

-a

"condensing fact from the vapor of nuance"

0 Kudos
John_Bergin
Contributor
Contributor

I sent it.

0 Kudos
Randy_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. I ran the install but don't see anything from the plugin manager. Am I missing a step?

0 Kudos
Randy_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nevermind the last, I restarted the VI client and I see it now.

0 Kudos
dougm
Contributor
Contributor

Should be within the drop down when you right click on a session

Regards,

0 Kudos
Randy_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong...I right click on my vm, select migrate storage, get a list of luns, select the new lun and click apply. I then get a popup that says "no changes detected'

0 Kudos
dougm
Contributor
Contributor

Select the current machine and drag it to the LUN you want to migrate it to. Then click apply.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Randy_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's easy!!! Thanks!

0 Kudos
dougm
Contributor
Contributor

NP. It is a very nice utility. I am hoping VMware will certify it and add this as a supported plugin .

0 Kudos