VMware {code} Community
sispeo
Contributor
Contributor

How to replace deprecated counter : CPU guaranteed

I work for a software vendor that develops a solution of capacity management and we use the VMware API to collect counters.

With vSphere, the counter "CPU guaranteed" has been deprecated and it was very helpful for our solution.

Does anyone know why it has been deprecated and most importantly, how can we get an equivalent ? (calculated from other counters?)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dmitrif
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know why it was deprecated; I would consider cpuentitlement as alternative.

D.
sispeo
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, this new counter may be useful to replace the deprecated one and it is the only one that have been added after having removed CPU guaranteed. So they might be strongly linked...

We are currently investigating to compare new values with old ones but they are not exactly the same. (That is a problem for our software compatibility with oldier versions)

0 Kudos
dmitrif
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BTW, the API reference says about cpuentitlement that "This counter is for internal use only and is not useful for performance monitoring.".

If I were you I would deprecate your application feature that depends on it or redesign it (the feature) completely.

D.
0 Kudos
sispeo
Contributor
Contributor

As you said, I think we should have to redesign it... (unfortunately) Smiley Sad

But there are many factors to take into account and it will be very hard to get a similar counter !

0 Kudos
dmitrif
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

why unfortunately? it's fun Smiley Happy

D.
0 Kudos
sispeo
Contributor
Contributor

Yes ! I think we will really enjoy managing reservation, expandable reservation, ... on multiple resource pool levels Smiley Happy

0 Kudos