VMware {code} Community
Tapesh
Contributor
Contributor

How to get notification of vmotion complete?

Hi,

My application is running on guest os. How can my application get notify if hot vmotion happened to guest os ? And how to get information about source and destination esx host ?

Any pointers would be appriciated.

Thanks,

Tapesh.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ssurana
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Tapesh,

Unfortunately till now there is no direct way of notifying the application running inside the guest OS about the VMotion that took place using any of the APIs. Although I can think of an indirect method by which you can do the same by writing your own custom code for notifying your application running inside the Guest OS. You can monitor the target VM from outside the guest OS using VI SDK in any of the languages like Java, Perl or C#. As soon as there is a VMotion activity on the target VM then notify the application running inside the VM using your own custom notification method over the network, as I believe the VM would be in your network and there can be possible ways of notifying the application inside the VM using the network.

Hope the above information helps

~ Sidharth

0 Kudos
Tapesh
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reply Sidharth.

Anybody has idea, how can we get information from VC database ? is that would be useful?

or using event history collector or property collector. Then application inside guestos can also be notified.

-Tapesh.

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can always use this as an example: http://www.lostcreations.com/code/wiki/vmware/monet.

0 Kudos
Brucky
Contributor
Contributor

Sidhath,

Has there been any advancement with VMotion notification since this posting.

Obviously within VC an alert can be made for all sorts of errors and events but not VMotion. ( as far as I can tell !?!?! ).

The reason I am interested is that my organisation is happy with DRS and HA taking care of business automatically with regard to VM location but would like our CMDB ( Configuration Management Database ) to be kept up to date. I can get my VI environment to send Service Tickets to my Service Desk through other alerts but cannot get VMotion participate.

If I need to get a dedicated PC or VM running scheduled code to monitor then so be it but unfortunately having hunted the Web I cannot find anything suitable.

My ideal would be a scheduled Powershell script but beggars can't be choosers!

Any assistance or advice would be gratefully accepted.

~ Brucky

0 Kudos
Manoj_Shingare
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Akutz,

I am unable to open that link. It is giving erro 'Requested Url could not be retrived.'

Could you please update me new URL .

Thnks and Regards,

Manoj

0 Kudos