VMware {code} Community
dmitrif
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HostNumericSensorInfo collection - does not work!

Hi all,

What would you say is persistent (can be used as an unique key) in the HostNumericSensorInfo collection (at HostSystem.runtime.healthSystemRuntime.systemHealthInfo.numericSensorInfo) during a session?

Size of the collection? Indexes of sensors? Sensor names?

I have a serious doubts about the only property that comes to mind (HostNumericSensorInfo.name) as it looks like it's being concatenated from an actual sensor name and its status: "System Board 1 FAN MOD 4D RPM - Normal", "Power Supply 2: Running/Full Power-Enabled", "Disk Drive Bay 1 Cable SAS A 0: Config Error - Deassert" etc (a very strange way to name something if you ask me).

Thanks in advance.

D.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
dmitrif
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In addition, one of the HostNumericSensorInfo instances called "VMware Rollup Health State" operates in the "red" condition on my vSphere server (according to MOB), but I don't see it in vClient on the "Hardware Health" tab, what does this rollup mean and where does it go on the client?

D.
0 Kudos
tmilner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dmitri,

There is no good unique ID for host sensors... Smiley Sad The best field to use is the name (which is quite lengthy). But this gets complicated because the hardware vendors decided to "help" by often appending the sensor status to the end of the name. Thus, if the status changes, the name changes. The only alternative I can think of is to use CIM to get the raw name value. Pretty ugly.

Tom

dmitrif
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, Tom, this is what I suspected

I really do not want to get into reading CIM profiles, too much work for too little benefits Smiley Sad

I'm hoping to hear from VMware guys about it...

D.
0 Kudos
dmitrif
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I wonder if this HostNumericSensorInfo collection even works!!!

We unplugged one of the power supplies and vSphere immediately showed it (it reads it directly from CIM profiles), but all sensors in MOB are green!

D.
0 Kudos