VMware {code} Community
Ashwin89
Contributor
Contributor

Hardware snap unmounting issue with ESX 4.0

Hello,

As we know already for ESX 4.0 mounting mechanisam for hardware snap is dffierent. We need to call resolvedvmfsvolumes() api and some extra steps.

My question is how to unmount the hardware snap ? from filer end I have unmapped it succesfully.What extra steps do i need to do at esx end?

If I just call rescan then disk is still getting visible.

Please let me know for the same.

-AsHwIN

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

I hate to duplicate something that already exists, please take a look at the vCLI command esxcfg-volume which is the official command as part of the esxcfg-* to handle snapshot volumes.

You'll be able to see the exact API calls that are issued when you want to mount,unmount and re-signature a snapshot volume within the vSphere SDK for Perl script.

Here's a blog post by Duncan Epping regarding this new vSphere CLI utility: http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/03/13/vmfs-recognized-as-a-snapshot-what-to-do-exploringthe-next-v...

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Ashwin89
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Just small question on this.

I am mounting the snapshot on the same ESX server where original volume is online so I always resignature the volume.It creates the new datastore.

When I want to remove datastore then I do following operation.

1. Unmap the clonec lun from filer

2. Delete the cloned lun.

3. rescanall operation on ESX server

As we have resignatured the volume I am not UnmountVMfsvolumes() operation. After all this I am getting dead path issue. still the disk entry showing in the vi client and status as "Dead". This is kinda critical as it needs the reboot of the ESX server currently.

Correct me If the steps above are wrong.

I will be really thankful if someone can help on this.

-AsHwIN

0 Kudos