VMware {code} Community
bshay123
Contributor
Contributor

Granting MOB access on HOST

I am working with ESXi 5 hosts and there was request from the security team to grant them access to the mob on the host server without using the root account.

Created a local account on the host and assigned to the root group, but could not log into the mob.   Did a little research and was not lucky to find a resolution.  Looking around I should be adding the local account to the read-only role.  I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to grant users access to the host mob?

Thanks in advance - Barry

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

There is not a specific permisison to grant MOB access, it uses the underlying authorization system in either an ESX(i) or vCenter system. You also do not need to be in the "root" group to get access to the MOB. What you need to do is create a local user (or use AD if you're using it) and assign "readOnly" permission to that user. You can do this using the vSphere Client or you can do so from the command line, take a look at this blog post for the details - http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2011/06/how-to-create-custom-roles-on.html