VMware {code} Community
nosila22
Contributor
Contributor

Getting Started... newbie question

Hey,

I just got ESX 3.5 installed and I'm playing around with it using the UI. I'm trying to start by testing out the basics like creating a folder, but I keep getting a NotSupported error. I tried creating a folder in the ha-folder-root folder. Any ideas?? Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nosila22
Contributor
Contributor

I should also mention I'm intending to use the VI SDK, which is why I'm posting here. I tried using the samples, like Create.java and used parentName = ha-folder-root and got the NotSupported error too.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

NotSupported Fault is thrown if the method is not supported on the server. Not all methods are supported on all servers (for example, an ESX Server host supports less functionality than a VirtualCenter server). A feature might also be disabled due to missing liceneses

In your case, I am not sure what you are referring to by UI, web access or mob. But, it seems you are using mob and you are connected to an esx. On trying to invoke api CreateFolder, you see this error, whereas this will be available on VC, Virtual Center. You should invoke this operation when you are connected to the VC's MOB and not ESX's.

There are certain operations that are supported on Virtual Center ,ESX Server , either of them, or both of them. To view the list of operations supported, you may check the link

, section Managed Object Priveleges Reference. This holds a table denoting the operations supported on VC or ESX.

0 Kudos