VMware {code} Community
Ashwin89
Contributor
Contributor

Get Volume Name Associated with LUNS

Is there any way to identify the volume name (of filer) for which LUNS are associated.

E.G : I am having two LUNS

vmhba32:0:1 and vmhba32:0:2 which are connected to netapp filer with some volume.

from VI SDK i am getting all the required information about LUNS from scsiLun object type.

Is there is way to get the volume name to which these LUNS are associated?

-AsHwIN

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

AFAIK that's the place to get this information

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Ashwin89
Contributor
Contributor

AFAIK ?

I didn't get his.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

AFAIK = as far as I know

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Ashwin89
Contributor
Contributor

scsiLun object type information gives lun type,disk,model,vendor and some more information

but I am not getting filer and volume information for that filer.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

What type of information from the filer were you looking for? I don't think you'll be able to pull filer specific information as that won't be exposed through the API, I think. You'll be able to get some basic information using scsiLun http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk25pubs/ReferenceGuide/vim.host.ScsiLun.html but I'm not aware of any other pieces of information.

Here's a very detail post on understanding the VMFS volumes and what you can do with some of the meta data which is not accessible through the VI API: http://blog.laspina.ca/roller/Ubiquitous/entry/understanding_vmfs_volumes You can even figure out vendor/etc. by doing some hexdump on some of the header information, you won't have this ability with VI API

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

0 Kudos