VMware {code} Community
tdfeathe
Contributor
Contributor

Get Host obj from vm obj

my $vm_list = Vim::find_entity_views(view_type => 'VirtualMachine', filter => \{"config.name" => $vmimagename});

foreach my $vm(@$vm_list) {

$hostobj = $vm->runtime->host;

print $hostobj->name; #summary->HostConfigSummary->name;

}

I am trying to $host to be an object that is the host of the image $vm and then print the name, but it doesn't work. I am getting

"Can't locate object method "name" via package "ManagedObjectReference" at GetHos

tName.pl line 29."

what am I doing wrong?

Message was edited by:

tdfeathe

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tdfeathe
Contributor
Contributor

my $mor_host = $vm->runtime->host;

my $hostname = Vim::get_view(mo_ref => $mor_host)->name;

Those lines fixed it. Can someone explain this all to me? I am new to this API and I am struggling to get the little done that I need it to do.

0 Kudos
hrobinson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Well, where do I start.

A MoRef is a pointer to an object on the server. To get a copy of the object (called a view in VI Perl), you have to perform a get_view or find_entity_view operation which creates a local copy (a view).

Once you have the view, then all the properties in that object are available. Of course, if one of those properties is a view, then you need to get it from the server.

So, in your example, you retrieved the property called "$host->runtime->host" which was a MoRef. Before you could use any properties off that object, then you needed to get a copy from the server.

In other words,

$hostobj = $vm->runtime->host.

$host_view = Vim::get_view (moref => $hostobj);

then

$host_view->name would work because you can now grab a property from an object that you retrieved from a server.

Lots of analogies but you just simply need to remember that if the property is a moref then you need to get a copy of it (a view) from the server before you can retrieve its properties.

H

0 Kudos
hrobinson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

One more thing. In the example that fixed it:

my $hostname = Vim::get_view(mo_ref => $mor_host)->name;

then I would always do this:

my $host_view = Vim::get_view(mo_ref => $mor_host);

my $host = $host_view->name;

That way, you still had a reference to the host view just in case you wanted to get another property in the Host Object. Otherwise, you would do

my $hoststats = Vim::get_view(mo_ref => $mor_host)->runtime->status;

which means that you would do a round trip to the host in order to get one property. It would work but would become awful slow in large configs.

H

0 Kudos
garrel_a
Contributor
Contributor

hello, I do not know too language Perl, and I will like to find the

name of the host which lodges my virtual machine.

Your program seems

to be exactly what I need, can you me communicate it, please.

Thank you in advance.

Andre

0 Kudos