VMware {code} Community
agaiswin
Contributor
Contributor

GUI for Storage Vmotion (svmotion)

Hi, please find a little Windows GUI for svmotion.

Instructions:

Install the VMWARE remote CLI (www.vmware.com/go/remotecli) on a Windows machine to the standard path (program files...)

Save the file vms.pl into the C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VI Remote CLI\bin directory.

Save the svmotionGUI.exe somewhere on the machine.

Double click it!

0 Kudos
72 Replies
myles
Contributor
Contributor

this is unbelievably swwweeeeettttt! nice job

0 Kudos
rbmadison
Contributor
Contributor

Can we put in a confirmation dialog option? Set it so you can turn on the confirmation message or turn it off. I think this would be helpful in case someone drags it to the wrong storage location. Another option would be is to change the color of the selected moving DISK locations so it stands out before you click apply. BTW This thing is AMAZING!!!!! Keep up the great work.

The popup message would be something like:

================================

Are you sure you want to migrate:

myvmname -

> myvmname

DISK1 / SAN01 -

> DISK1 / SAN02

DISK2 / SAN01 -

> DISK2 / SAN02

Click "Yes" to continue or "No" to cancel.

================================

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm a Mac user, so I'm used to something going when you tell it to go.

What I will probably do is add a settings screen where you can enable/

disable warnings.

--

-a

"condensing fact from the vapor of nuance"

gpg pubkey: http://www.lostcreations.com/~akutz/akutz.gpg

lostcreations ca: http://www.lostcreations.com/lostcreations.com-ca.crt

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I'm using this Storage VMotion GUI tools but got errors below when selecting source .vmx and started storage vmotion to destination LUN, any assistance is appreciated.

With current configurations, VMotion between the specified hosts would require a location change for the virtual machine swapfile, but this is not supported on the source host

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
balazsberczi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, what you mean, "reinstalled it"? rms.pl and gui exe just 2 files. There is nothing to install on it...

Unfortunately I have the same message .. error -1 .. etc

Many thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

FYI - The new version is only several days away from release. I will have more information on it soon.

0 Kudos
agaiswin
Contributor
Contributor

Smiley Happy

I guess you are referencing my little Autoit GUI. Looks like you either didn't realize that there is a much better alternative now:

http://code.google.com/p/akutz/

Or you do not want to install any plug-ins. In this case:

Your error -1 is related to your installation of the Remote CLI. As I noted, it has to be installed under /program files

If you have a non-english version of OS, forget my simple version and use Andrews version (which is a real solution, not just a quick hack).

Regards

Alex

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Version 1.0 of the SVMotion has been released at http://vip-svmotion.sourceforge.net/. New features include:

- No longer protects against migrating VMs that have thin-provisioned disks.

- No longer counts RDM files against datastore size, fixing the bug that plagued the last version.

- SVMotion operations against templates are not supported since VMware does not support them.

- Added tool tips that explain why a relocation cannot take place

- All SVMotion events write out a log, enabling better understanding of what went wrong in case of an error.

- Aside from the library that loads the plug-in, all of VMware's internal code has been replaced with the VI Toolkit for .NET.

- The project is now supported by almost 20 unit tests, helping to ensure fewer bugs and greater stability.

- The unit tests can be expanded to include testing for a system-resource supported number of servers since they use mock testing designed to work with the VI Toolkit for .NET.

- The project is now built using NAnt, which allows nightly builds of the source, creates distributions, and builds the MSI installer.

0 Kudos
balazsberczi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I've tried svmotionGUI.exe file and vms.pl to use Svmotion.

Now I am installing SVMotionClientSetup-0.4.4.msi for plugining VC server. Smiley Happy

Thanks, I'll comeup with news soon

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please note that I released a new version (1.0) of the plug-in

yesterday.

--

-a

0 Kudos
balazsberczi
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried to use new 1.0.0. version but when I run it said, NO CHANGES DETECTED

I have only 1 windows where I can choose Target? or I missed something? see pic

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If it says no changes detected it means either there is a bug

(possible) or perhaps you forgot to drag the server or virtual disk to

another datastore?

--

-a

0 Kudos
balazsberczi
Contributor
Contributor

It works fine. I didn know and try draganddrop..

Super.. just 1 ping missed, as usual in my vmotion tries...

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Mmmm. It is my goal to make this intuitive. Do you have any

suggestions about how I can make the drag and drop process more

obvious (it is on the web page by the way : ) )?

--

-a

0 Kudos
balazsberczi
Contributor
Contributor

Smiley Happy maybe a little HELP button next to the OK button for the half eyed half fingered guys like me Smiley Happy thanks!

0 Kudos
k_j
Contributor
Contributor

You may put a little title frame over the Drag'n Drop area like 'Drag a virtual disk(s) to the desired destination...' or something like this.

Or may be split the area into two different panels eg. 'Source' and 'Destination' and allow to drag between them.

0 Kudos
renski
Contributor
Contributor

very nice, thanks!

0 Kudos
Raycom
Contributor
Contributor

very neat tool

I was able to test this in our lab environment (DS4800 running Storage Manager 9.6), will use it to resize our VMWare LUNs

thanks!

0 Kudos
bakker
Contributor
Contributor

i used the svmotionGUI.exe file and login to VC. I can sellect the source but no destination. i have a empty datastore on the server with lot of space. What is the problem that i can not select a destination.

when i use the pugin in vc i can select destination datastore.

0 Kudos
iwant2knowwhois
Contributor
Contributor

Andrew, I have installed the latest version of the plugin and when i try to svmotion i get the following error message "the request storage vmotion would move a virtual machine's disks without assigning the virtual machine a new home, but such a move is not supported on the source host"

I have also submitted the bug. Any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos