VMware {code} Community
rajeshami
Contributor
Contributor

Expand Datastore failed for 2.5 TB ESXi 5

Dear All,

We are developing a plug-in for vSphere Client, this plug-in is written in C#. We use the vSphere API for doing all the operations such as creation of datastore, virtual machine etc., We have our own storage, using which we create iSCSI volume and mount the target in vSphere client and create a datastore using the same. Everything works fine.

We provide Datastore expansion option in the plug-in. In this, we will intially expand our underlying volume and the we will call the ExpandVmfsDatastore function to expand the datastore. This function is also working fine until we give the expansion size of 2TB. But if the size exceeds more than 2 TB. then I'm getting, "An error occurred during host configuration" error..

On clicking details of the error, "Unable to grow Filesystem"

But if i tried to expand the same thing directly from vSphere client instead of doing programatically using API, then it is working fine even for 4 TB. I compared the vmkernel log but couldn't find anything properly. Im using ESXi 5. I saw in the vmware site http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100356.... In that it has mentioned, In VMFS-5, for 1 MB block size, largest virtual disk supported is 2TB minus 512B. Is it related to this issue?

I have attached two log messages. ExpandSuccess.txt contains the log, which successfully expanded the large datastore created directly from vSphere client. ExpandError.txt contains the error log, which was shown when i tried to expand the same size programatically using vSphere API.

Please let me know what is going on wrong. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rajesh A

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rajeshami
Contributor
Contributor

Can anybody help me on this?

0 Kudos