VMware {code} Community
newsharon86
Contributor
Contributor

ESX server support provided by VI SDK 4

Hi

I was a bit confused to what versions of ESX servers are supported by Vi SDK 4.

also if it supports ESX 1.8

If not who supports esx 1.8

0 Kudos
6 Replies
storm27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

As vSphere SDK is backward compatible, it supports prior versions of ESX as well.

0 Kudos
yvsvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Quote " The vSphere Web Services SDK 4.0 is compatible with previous releases of ESX/ESXi and VirtualCenter Server, including ESX/ESXi 3.5x, ESX/ESXi 3.0.x; VirtualCenter Server 2.5, and VirtualCenter Server 2.0.x" Unquote

VI SDK4.0 does not explicitly support ESX1.8

Thanks

Yvs

0 Kudos
newsharon86
Contributor
Contributor

can you update me on which API support ESX 1.8

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

You'll want to take a look at this page: http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/ I'm not sure which one supports ESX 1.8 or if that ever even exists, but if it is supported, you'll find the right API version here.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

Twitter: @lamw

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
heyitspablo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Newsharon86,

Might be easier if you post a specific question, about the issue you are running into. In terms of which SDK to use here are a few words.

We do have a FREE product called "VMware Server" I think the latest version is 2.x which is very different than the ESX commercial product.

Our vSphere SDKs support vSphere and its new features and is also backward compatible with VMware Infrastructure 3.x... I have not heard of anyone using vSphere SDK 4.0 on versions of VMware Server,, might be interesting to hear but then again these are toooootaly different animals.

Hope this helps..

_P

Keep up with latest info on vSphere PowerCLI http://blogs.vmware.com/vipowershell - Follow me on Twitter @heyitspablo
0 Kudos
newsharon86
Contributor
Contributor

I had read that VI SDK 4 provides a support for ESX 3 and higher but I am not able to find out which API or SDK support ESX 1.8

It would great help if anyone can tell me specifically Support for ESX 1.8

0 Kudos