VMware {code} Community
PaulMinsk
Contributor
Contributor

CreateSnapshot_Task crash

Hello everyone.

I can't create (remove) a new snapshot through vsphere-ws example (SDK\vsphere-ws\dotnet\cs 
VMSnapshot2010 project). I can launch "list" operation and the operation was finished successfully.

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException was unhandled
Message=fault.RestrictedVersion.summary
Source=System.Web.Services
Actor=""
Lang=""
Node=""
Role=""
StackTrace:
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at VimApi.VimService.CreateSnapshot_Task(ManagedObjectReference _this, String name, String description, Boolean memory, Boolean quiesce)
at VMSnapshot.VMSnapshot.createSnapshot(ManagedObjectReference vmMor) in D:\Abingdon\Virtual PC\SDK\vsphere-ws\dotnet\cs\samples\VMSnapshot\VMSnapshot.cs:line 20
at VMSnapshot.VMSnapshot.Main(String[] args) in D:\Abingdon\Virtual PC\SDK\vsphere-ws\dotnet\cs\samples\VMSnapshot\VMSnapshot.cs:line 261

Detail -> InnerXml:<SecurityErrorFault xmlns="urn:vim2" xsi:type="SecurityError" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"></SecurityErrorFault>

I'm using VMware-vSphere-SDK-5.0.0-429209.zip SDK (free version).

Host: VMware ESXi, 4.0.0, 164009

Could  anyone рhelp me with it, please?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PaulMinsk
Contributor
Contributor

There is some warning:

There were one or more problems with the server certificate:

* A certification chain processed correctly, but terminated in a root certificat
e which isn't trusted by the trust provider.

* The certificate's CN name does not match the passed value.

Maybe this is the reason of the trouble. How can I fix it?

Additional information from console:

Unhandled Exception: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: fault.Restrict
edVersion.summary
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClie
ntMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCal
l)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodN
ame, Object[] parameters)
at VimApi.VimService.CreateSnapshot_Task(ManagedObjectReference _this, String
name, String description, Boolean memory, Boolean quiesce)
   at VMSnapshot.VMSnapshot.createSnapshot(ManagedObjectReference vmMor) in D:\SDK\vsphere-ws\dotnet\cs\samples\VMSnapshot\VMSnapshot.cs:lin
e 20
   at VMSnapshot.VMSnapshot.Main(String[] args) in D:\SDK\vs
phere-ws\dotnet\cs\samples\VMSnapshot\VMSnapshot.cs:line 261

But VIX library (VMware-vix-1.6.2-127388) working correctly.

0 Kudos
bpraharaj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paul,

The reason for this is the RCLI has locked down write access, you can find more details here: http://vmetc.com/2009/03/31/esxi-u4-ends-free-version-read-and-write-access-from-the-rcli/

Thanks

0 Kudos
PaulMinsk
Contributor
Contributor

Does it mean that I can't use the library on a free mode? Or .... Did I understand it correctly ?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's correct, the vSphere API is only available in read-only mode if you are using vSphere Hypervisor (free version of ESXi)

You can take a look at the Licensing section here as well for the details.

PaulMinsk
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you a lot. Your answer is the best. A little question.

"Licensed Features" tab ..

Product: ESXi 4 Single Server Licensed for 4 physical CPUs (1-6 cores per CPU)
License Key: (key number)

Expires: Never

Is it free license?

And ... A little comment for your articles.

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/01/whats-the-difference-between-an-api-vs-sdk.html

Do you mean that VIX API is vSphere API? Or vSphere API is different ...

There are VIX API and SDK samples (VMware-vSphere-SDK-5.0.0-429209.zip)  Do they connect to Host using the same way? Where can I find diagram or so on like it?

I mean ... Who is primary?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you see a long list of product features? If it's like 2-3 lines, then yes you're using free ESXi. Also if you didn't pay for a license (if you were the original admin who installed it, then it's a free license)