VMware {code} Community
joe_bar
Contributor
Contributor

Create new VM via SOAP / Webservices / VirtualCenter 2.0.1

Hi all,

im trying to create a new VM via SOAP. Ive managed to log in / query existing vm's / logoff, but i've not been able to create a new VM so far. this is the SOAP request im trying to send.

Im out of ideas, im guessing ive got the right host and folder handle ?

Please advise.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
hrobinson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This may be a little hard to debug as the operation failed may be for many reasons. Yes, we need to improve the error messages.

I would suggest the following:

Setting logging on the esx server to trivia. For that:

cd /etc/vmware/hostd

edit config.xml and change the entry debug"

From VI Client, then do the create vm task

CTL-C the tail operation.

Review the debug file, and you should see the XML syntax for a successful run. Edit your SOAP call appropriately.

H

0 Kudos
joe_bar
Contributor
Contributor

Will this action shut down any running VM's on the ESX Server ?

0 Kudos
joe_bar
Contributor
Contributor

I just looked at the config.xml file.

The loglevel is set to verbose, is this sufficient or does trivia give more info ?

0 Kudos
hrobinson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You may want to try to log at verbose and see if the xml call is recorded. Restarting host-agent doesn't affect current running vm's, it simply "blinks" the management connection.

0 Kudos
joe_bar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i set the level to trivia, restarted the mgmt-vmware service and did a tail on the hostd.log file. Then i created a new vm with the gui.

In the resulting debug file i searched for XML information, but was not able to find any. Am i literally looking for a XML structure inside the debug output or what should i look for exactly ?

Regards

Message was edited by:

joe_bar

0 Kudos