VMware {code} Community
DArndt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you user guest customization on a non-template or non-cloned VM?

I am currently using Array Based technology to replicate VM's to a large scale for using with VDI using space efficient copies. Once the disks are copied I then create a new VM and point it at the existing disk through the perl API. I would like to be able to use the guest customization to get a new SID, name them and have them join the windows domain.

I know this can be done with the template and clone functions, but would like to be able to vmcreate task to also allow this funcationallity.

Please post any ideas that you may have.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sure, you can use CustomizeVM_Task for accomplishing the guest customization of any vm created. Though you would not be able to customize the guest while creating it, but once it is created, you may use CustomizeVM method on it. The only difference in cloning is, the CloneVM_Task, lets one define the guest customization spec within CloneVM_Task.

For more information, please refer

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sure, you can use CustomizeVM_Task for accomplishing the guest customization of any vm created. Though you would not be able to customize the guest while creating it, but once it is created, you may use CustomizeVM method on it. The only difference in cloning is, the CloneVM_Task, lets one define the guest customization spec within CloneVM_Task.

For more information, please refer

0 Kudos