VMware {code} Community
Sakkiej
Contributor
Contributor

Broadcast (PXE/IP) not working

Hi all don't know if this is the correct forum to ask this....

I am new to ESX but not new to Windows Server. I have an issue that I hope someone can point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this.

We are currently using vSphere (Version 4) I think. We have a few servers running on one VLAN. One DC (DNS, DHCP), SCCM R2 and a few file and Print servers.

The problem is as follows:

DHCP and SCCM is setup correctly. When I install and server manually it receives and IP address from my DHCP server. If I want to use PXE/IP boot the servers doesn't receive an IP Address.

I am using the ESX environment as my LAB and would like to test the SCCM PXE deployment of Servers and Desktops, but as I said on start-up the servers doesn't receive any IP details. Looking through the DHCP eventvwr, the server isn't receiving any DHCP requests from any clients.

Where is the best place to start to troubleshoot? Is this an ESX configuration Issue or a Switch issue?

Thanks for your time and I hope I made this as clear as possible...

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wrong forum, this is in the developer forums and specifically the vSphere Web Services as the forum title says.

You'll want to post your question on the vSphere forum and depending if you're running ESX or ESXI:

I would say it looks like your PXE server or DHCP isn't configured correctly since some hosts are getting an IP, you probably missed something in the configuration and it's not handing out an IP and it also depends if you're doing a purely dynamic or static dynamic assignment. In any case, I'm no expert in Windows administration, you may want to post your question in the primary forums providing the PXE/DHCP server you're using and perhaps a copy of your configuration and you can mask out any environment specific information but with just high level details, it's hard for anyone to really help in detail.

Thanks

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

Twitter: @lamw

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos