VMware {code} Community
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A new VI client plugin - Add Port Groups

Add Port Groups is a VI 2.5 client plugin that enables the ability to create many port groups at once on many ESX hosts and many virtual switches.

The impetus for this plugin was managing sites with over 100 ESX servers and having to add trunked VLANs to each one. This plugin as existed as a .NET command line utility, as a Perl script, and as part of the now defunct VISH project. I hope that you will find its functionality now that it is incorporated into the VI client as useful as I have.

Read more about this plugin and download it at .

0 Kudos
5 Replies
skywalkr
Contributor
Contributor

This site seems to have disappeared, along with the addportgroups plugin - any comments?

Later,

GC Mobley

Later, GC Mobley
0 Kudos
halr9000
Commander
Commander

I'll ping him. I don't know what happened to his old site but I know he's got a new home for his toys.

Author of the upcoming book: Managing VMware Infrastructure with PowerShell

Co-Host, PowerScripting Podcast (http://powerscripting.net)

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This is not an updated version of AddPortGroups, and it has no installer, but it will work if you put the uncompressed folder in the Plugins directory. I intend to update AddPortGroups such that it no longer requires VMware internal code to function. I just haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

0 Kudos
is_team
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I've download and put the uncompressed folder in the Plugins folder (same place as the UM and Converter plugin folders) but I can't locate any context, plugin or tab additions. I've tried restarting VCS service and relaunched the VI client but don't see anything new. Any tips on how to access the functionality?

Thanks, I've read good things about this plugin and am keen to try it.

0 Kudos
is_team
Contributor
Contributor

For anyone who may come across this looking how to get it to activate, it was as simple as unzipping the whole 'AddPorGroups' folder into the C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Plugins folder on the VCServer box. It came to life after a reboot of the VCServer. Also make sure it is enabled in the Plugins tab. Works well so far.

0 Kudos