VMware Cloud Community
jaturley
Contributor
Contributor

vma-update error attempting to update vma from 4.0 to 4.1

I am currentley using VMware VMA 4.0.0 BUILD-161992 and I would like to upgrade to VMA 4.1.  When I run the command 'vma-update scan' I get the following error message at the console. "Failed to import one or more critical modules: need more than 2 values to unpack." Any idea what I ma doing wrong?  Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
mwpreston
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm just taking a wild stab at the dark here but it could be due to some permission errors...

Try proceeeding the vma-update command with sudo

i.e. sudo vma-update scan

Hope it solves your issue, i know it has solved some of my vma issues in the past.

0 Kudos
jaturley
Contributor
Contributor

Tried 'sudo vma-update scan' same error

0 Kudos
mwpreston
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What does sudo vma-update info return?

Do you have access to the internet from this machine?

0 Kudos
jaturley
Contributor
Contributor

The same error "Failed to import one or more critical modules: need more than 2 values to unpack."  I have access to the internet I can ping external websites and downlaod files from the internet with wget.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Note: This discussion was moved from the ESXi 4 community to the vMA community.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
mwpreston
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hmm…

Have you tried to actually wget the VMA packages…

wget http://www.vmware.com/go/vma41/updatevmw-VIMA-4.1.0-metadata.zip

0 Kudos
jaturley
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to download the bundle.  How do I install it?

0 Kudos
mwpreston
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi…

I think it is something like vma-update –b update

0 Kudos
jaturley
Contributor
Contributor

I atempted to run vma-update -b vmw-VIMA-4.1.0-metadata.zip update and I got the same error message: "Failed to import one or more critical modules: need more than 2 values to unpack."

0 Kudos
mwpreston
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hmm…

Not sure where to go from here…

You may want to consider downloading the new 4.1 appliance and migrating scripts that you have over to it…

0 Kudos
jaturley
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying not to do that because I have my WSXi servers configured to log to the vma appliance.  I really do not want to set that up again.  Thansks for you help.

0 Kudos