VMware Cloud Community
AlasdairSowerby
Contributor
Contributor

vMA unable to authenticate via web ui?

Hi there...

Have installed the latest vMA in order to get UPS graceful shutdown working but am having a strange problem.  It is all setup fine and have followed the instructions to the letter in the documentation.  I can access the web interface, no problem but when I try to login as vi-admin, I just get and "Unable to authenticate user. Please try again" error.  I can login fine via the console with the same username and password.

I've tried changing the password, using root and vi-user accounts, trying vi-admin@vma (the hostname), just using admin as the logon name, etc etc.  I've even deleted the whole vApp and redownloaded it (checking the md5 hash) and reinstalled if from scratch but this seems a persistent error.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlasdairSowerby
Contributor
Contributor

Found the problem.... feeling stupid.

The password I was using contained a # symbol.  On the vma console this was for some reason coming out as a \, but obviously was coming out fine as a # when using the web ui.  I thought that by changing the password a number of times I had avoided this issue but it turns out that one of the previous symbols I was trying was also being altered too.

Presumably the vmtools on this vApp doesn't recognise that not everyone uses a US keyboard.....

0 Kudos
meimeiriver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not stupid you, but stupid Vmware! What moronic company first forces you to add all kinds of strange symbols to your password, because the one you wanted was allegedly 'too simple,' and then designs a crappy web-ui that can't even handle the characters you grudgingly chose!?

0 Kudos