VMware Cloud Community
mzatorski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vMA GUI/Web Interface?

Hi there,

I just had a quick question - is vMA all command line based or is there a gui or web interface of some sort or plans of creating one? I'm trying to pass down maintenance to less technical personnel, thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The removal of the host update utility is a bit unfortunate. You can install the vCLI on a Windows / Linux PC to get access to the vihostupdate command or PowerCLI has the install-vmhostpatch cmd-let which may be a better alternative than using the vCLI.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums. The vMA was created to replace service console access for scripting and troubleshooting purposes. For GUI management you would use the vSphere client. What sort of tasks are you looking at passing on? PowerCLI may be another option for scripting or depending on the task there may be other options as well.

Dave

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

mzatorski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the welcome!

We have 2 environments currently, a vCenter environment and then stand-alone hosts...vCenter updates are not a problem as I have the update manager working for them, the individual hosts are some cumbersome however. I suppose I'm looking for something similar to the update manager in vCenter...previously for the stand alones (4.0) I was having them use the host update utility which was quick and simple.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to the VMware communities forum.

vMA does not have a GUI by itself and there is no Web interface, it is command line all the way.

It is mostly intended to run scripts from.

Depending on the OS's you have in house you have alternatives for less tech savvy people.

Like for example you can use the Virtual Infrastructure Client on Windows.

Hope this helps,

--
Wil

Contributing author at blog www.planetvm.net

Twitter: @wilva

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The removal of the host update utility is a bit unfortunate. You can install the vCLI on a Windows / Linux PC to get access to the vihostupdate command or PowerCLI has the install-vmhostpatch cmd-let which may be a better alternative than using the vCLI.

Dave

0 Kudos
mzatorski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great, thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

On top of the answers provided by both Dave and Wil

Here are some getting started guides if you're interested in the vCLI and vMA:

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/p/vmware-vcli-rcli.html

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2010/05/getting-started-with-vma.html

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

Getting Started with the vMA (tips/tricks)

Getting Started with the vSphere SDK for Perl

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos