VMware Cloud Community
the_gonzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vMA 5 unable to SSH

Hello all,

I have been setting up vSphere 5 in my test enviroment and I have run into a problem with the "vSphere Management Assitant (vMA) - 5.0.0.0 build 472630". I have set it up with a static IP address, and I can login to the console just fine. When I try to SSH to the ip address using putty I get an error "server unexpectedly closed network connection". With the vMA 4.x series SSH worked out of the box. I have tried a few thing, even redeloying the VA but SSH still fails. All of the other functions I have tried work just fine in the vMA, i.e. adding servers and hosts, joining domains etc.

I am at a bit of a lose as to why this isn't just working. I can SSH to the older vMA 4.0 just fine, so i don't think its a network issue, and the SSHD service is running,

Thanks,

Matt Nichols

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DimaIteco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same problem. But I find the reason. Need correct file /etc/hosts.allow to add row

sshd: ALL : ALLOW

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DimaIteco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same problem. But I find the reason. Need correct file /etc/hosts.allow to add row

sshd: ALL : ALLOW

0 Kudos
the_gonzo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you that worked perfectly.

Matt

0 Kudos
MaxBeard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all, I have the same issue but I can't edit hosts.allow with "permission denied". chmod 644 /etc/hosts.allow doesn't help also (operation not permitted).

Where am I wrong?

Thanks

Maxim Shulga
0 Kudos
DimaIteco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Edit as root:

sudo vi /etc/hosts.allow

Enter your pass for vi-admin, edit required file and save.

0 Kudos
MaxBeard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot! It works now.

Maxim Shulga
0 Kudos
BryanWard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know this is an old thread, but the following link has a detailed explination of how to fix this:

http://jreypo.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/vma-5-rejects-ssh-connections/

dTardis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. This is what I was looking for. 

0 Kudos