VMware Cloud Community
legacyd3
Contributor
Contributor

vMA 4.1 prompting for credentials on target (AD joined ESXi and vMA)

I'm trying to get vMA 4.1 to talk to my ESXi 4.1 host all using Active Directory. I've joined my ESXi host to AD, I've joined my vMA to AD, but after I set my vMA target and try to run a command against that host it asks for username and password and nothing I put in is accepted. I've added my AD account to the administrator role on the particular ESXi host.

I've been scouring the net for something and none of the blogs mention this happening. I do see domain admin mentioned in a couple places, but I don't have that permission and won't in my environment. I wouldn't think that matters as long as I manually add my account to the ESXi host.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Narkis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Can you please follow the below format. " Explore the below link http://geeksilver.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/how-to-use-vma-4-1-installation-configuration/

Notice: There is a big trick here. If system prompt and ask you username and password, you can type “domain\username”. But if you want to use domain\username in the command line, you have to use “domain
username”.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

This looks like a confirmed bug by VMware. There is an on-going thread regarding this issue here -

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

Getting Started with the vMA (tips/tricks)

Getting Started with the vSphere SDK for Perl

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos