VMware Cloud Community
MHGoff
Contributor
Contributor

resxtop not found on vMA

HI,

I am new to using the vcenter server appliance, and not comfortable in the linux world, so bear with me.

All of my previous hosts have been of the esx flavor, NOT esxi.

I have created a new cluster of hosts using esxi5.  I want to use esxtop to monitor them.  I understand that I must use resxtop.  To do this, I need the vCenter Server Appliance(I think).  I downloaded this version vMA-5.0.0.0-472630_OVF10.  I have installed the template, setup the vMA to function(setup the database, started services, etc.), logged into the console as root (both from the VM console and also via ssh).

I have made sure that my servers are NOT in lockdown mode.

My problem is this;  when I type resxtop --server (servername) I get an error that resxtop is not found.

I can't find anything stating that resxtop is not included with the vMA, is this correct?  The latest instructions I can find for the vMA is the vsphere Management Assistant guide (vsphere 5).  In THOSE instructions it says that when I first boot the vMA appliance, I should be asked to set up a password for a user called vi-admin.  This never happens.  Are these instructions wrong?  Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Do I need to be logged in as this vi-admin or is root sufficient (I would have thought root to be sufficient)?

I feel STUPID that I cannot find any documentation helping me out with this, or any google searches where others have this problem.

Any thoughts??

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gettyless
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not sure if this helps but for me it's at /usr/bin:

vma1:~ # which resxtop

/usr/bin/resxtop

Looks like I'm using the same version and build: vMA 5.0.0.0 Build 472630

0 Kudos
Hpang
Contributor
Contributor

have you tried resxtop --server <yourvc> --vihost <youresxihost> ?

0 Kudos
mercurytoxic
Contributor
Contributor

On my system I don't have resxtop but I do have a esxtop !

0 Kudos
briamiva
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

You could try the following command from vma

" sudo mv /usr/lib/vmware-rcli/ /usr/lib/vmware "

then for the password and try the resxtop

regards

0 Kudos