VMware Cloud Community
vancod
Contributor
Contributor

VIMA can't connect to the network

I've got a freshly installed cluster of ESX 3.5.3 hosts on Opteron-based HP Proliants. There are numerous other Guests up and running just fine.

I've instaled the VIMA, removed the vmxnet NIC and added an e1000 NIC (so I can VMotion), and powered on.

I've configured the IP, hostname, and password, and booted successfully.

However, I can see nohing on the network. Can't see the default gateway.

I have tried removing and recreating the /etc/sysconfig script - no change.

I've tried migrating to a different host - no change.

The network appears to be functional (no errors at boot, the output of ifconfig looks as expected).

I followed this exact proceedure on my hosts here at home and it worked without issue - only these are Intel CPUs.

???

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

You shouldn't manually remove any files, networking should work right out of the box. How many interfaces do you have setup for your VIMA host? When you say you can't see anything on the network, what are you referring to? Can you SSH to VIMA or do you have to go through the virtual console? Can you ping your VIMA host, can you ping out to another host from VIMA?

Can you please cat out the following:

/etc/sysconfig/network

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

/etc/hosts

/etc/resolve.conf

Can you also do long listing on the following directory (ls -la)

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

=========================================================================

--William

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

0 Kudos
vancod
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry - false alarm. For the second time I have been burned by a customer whose assured me their network was "in good order". It was a routing issue.

Yesterday I was told their VLANs were"all set" and the instant I moved one of the ESX hosts' service console to it - boom - dead server.

0 Kudos