VMware Cloud Community
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to run cli commands/prompts for username password

Trying to get my vMA install going so I can manage my new esxi servers. One of the first things I wanted to do was configure iscsi multipathing using the vma appliance. So far I'm unable to do so.

After getting the vma installed, I added one of my esxi host servers. I was able to add the server without a problem, and I set it as the target server for running cli commands. When I try to run commands though, it prompts again for username/password, then returns an error: unable to connect to local host. I'm not sure why it keeps prompting for the username/password after I set the host as the target server? I'm logged into the vma as vi-admin.

This is the particular command I'm trying to run to configure the multipathing:

Connect vmk1 to vmhba33:  esxcli swiscsi nic add -n vmk1 -d vmhba33.

Connect vmk2 to vmhba33:   esxcli swiscsi nic add -n vmk2 -d vmhba33.

Any help is greatly appreciated, getting very frustrated so far....

Thanks

Kevin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It seems that with esxcli you have to specify the server option.  So this will work without prompting for a user / password

[vi-admin@vma ~][192.168.1.54]$ esxcli --server 192.168.1.54  swiscsi nic add -n vmk1 -d vmhba33

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you using the most recent vMA release?  I beleive there was a bug in earlier releases that resulted in an issue similar to what you're experiencing.

0 Kudos
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe I have the most current release, 4.1? 

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It seems that with esxcli you have to specify the server option.  So this will work without prompting for a user / password

[vi-admin@vma ~][192.168.1.54]$ esxcli --server 192.168.1.54  swiscsi nic add -n vmk1 -d vmhba33

0 Kudos
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks.

I tried running that syntax and I got an error back "no such option: --192.168.xx.xxx"

It sounds like most people are able to run that command as I had originally posted, but I don't get the prompt for username/password.. 

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The option is --server  <ip/hostname>  not just  -- <ip/hostname>.

0 Kudos
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My mistake Dave, trying to do 10 things at once and I missed that in the syntax.

Thanks for your help, everything looks good now.

Kevin

0 Kudos