I've created an hour long batch capture using resxtop with the following command:
resxtop -b -n 720 --server servername.domain > vmacapture.csv
However when I add the Data Source to perfmon I get:
"Data Source C:\filename.csv is either invavlid or cannot be found. System message: The specified log file type has not been installed on this system.
I completed another small capture earlier, 9 iterations and that loaded fine.
I've tried capturing more batches, 3 more attempts of 2 minutes but all of them come up with the same error..
Any ideas on why this is failing? I can open the data in excel fine...
The problem does not seem to be present in vMA 4.0. I managed to complete 2 batch jobs without an error. I'm now in the process of capturing 1 hour worth of data. Waiting for that to complete still.
Was this ever resolved with vMA 4.1? I also have a .csv file that I want to take a look at and cannot due to the errors discussed in this thread. Unforunatly, the users won't be able to test again soon, so this is the only data I have to on for a while and I can't really work with it.
This thread is probably not being monitored anymore, since it is marked answered, but I was hoping we could get an update on this issue. I downloaded vMA 4.1 recently in order to grab some statistics and ran into similar problems. Is there any plan to fix vMA 4.1, or a guide on what needs to be fixed in the headers in order to read the csv files produced by vMA 4.1?
As noted in the thread you might want to either try downloading a 4.0 version of the appliance or use ESXTOP directly from the Tech Support console or SSH or you can issue ESXTOP remotely using SSH.
I don't know whether there are any updates but you can try vma-update from the vma appliance.
Ran into this the other day and its an easy fix/workaround.
When you use a '>' to redirect output it takes everything that goes to stdout and puts it in your file. The problem is this:
[2011-03-30 13:08:44.051 F42EF8E0 info 'App'] Current working directory: /home/vi-admin
[2011-03-30 13:08:44.052 F42EF8E0 info 'Libs'] Using system libcrypto, version 9070AF
[2011-03-30 13:08:44.053 F42EF8E0 info 'App'] Vmacore::InitSSL: doVersionCheck = true, handshakeTimeoutUs = 120000000
"(PDH-CSV 4.0) (EDT)(0)","\\192.168.100.116\Memory\Memory Overcommit (1 Minute Avg)","\\192.168.100.116\Memory\Memory Overcommit (5 Minute Avg)","\\.........
The first 3 lines aren't in .csv format so they get dumped to the top of your file.
Easy enough fix:
tail -n +3 bad.csv > good.csv
It will just dump your entire .csv sans the first 3 lines into a new one.