VMware Cloud Community
jeltsenh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PCNS doesn't work after upgrade VMA

Hello,

I use PCNS 3.0.1 on Vsphere ESXi 5.0.1 and VMA to shutdown the VM's and the host in case of a power outage. Last week I upgraded VMA 5.0.0 to the latest version 5.0.0.1 (not really an upgrade, but a fresh install). Unfortunately the automatic shutdown doesn't work anymore.

When I run the shutdown script, it seems the relevant ESXi host can't be find or it isn't being managed by the VMA. Then I tried a complete fresh install of all components, but the problem stays.

Anybody who recognizes this problem? Solution for now is to stick with VMA 5.0.0

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

VMware is aware of this issue and is working on a fix. A KB (2020598) will be published soon.

Thank you,

Tobias Sutor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
26 Replies
lawson23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

picaroon it is starting to look like this is also my issue.  Thanks for the heads up I'm going to download the 5.0 vMA and give it a shot.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

For PCNS the target ESXi hosts should be added to VIFP(VI Fast Pass)

check to be sure the servers are added to the vMA by running the command vifp listservers. If the server is not in the list add the server to the list by running the command "sudo vifp addserver <IP / FQDN>
0 Kudos
jeltsenh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The vMA can manage the ESXi host. It's a problem in the newest version of vMA.

0 Kudos
lawson23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have also just verified that the issue is with the vMA 5.0.0.1 installing vMA 5.0 and pcns 3.0.1 has fixed my problem.  Thanks for this information and hopefully someone else will find it helpful. 

0 Kudos
BryanWard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm experiencing the same issue.

Here's the error I receive:

[11.05.2012, 17:45:12]debug: Login by vi-fastpass to: <ESXi Host>
[11.05.2012, 17:45:12]debug: Error: Unable to login to host: "<ESXi Host>"! Host may not be accessible over the network or is not managed by VMA

0 Kudos
jeltsenh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is the same error I receive. Unfortunately I haven't been able to solve the issue. Sticking with version 5.0.0 works for me.

0 Kudos
BryanWard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ended up downloading the vMA 5.0.0.0-472630 VM and setting it up from scratch. The PCNS 3.0.1 really is a breeze to set up, just follow the instructions in the PDF.

Some additional useful information that I had to track down was that, for FastPass, you can simply add your vCenter Server (: sudo vifp addserver <vCenter Server IP>) as the only server used to control your ESXi hosts; or better yet: Add its IP during the PCNS installation. Also, when configuring events in the PCNS web interface, use "Run Command File" and enter the full path of the shutdown script (/opt/APC/PowerChute/group1/bin/shutdown) in the "Full path of the command file:" text box.

These steps are for the paid version of ESXi 5.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

VMware is aware of this issue and is working on a fix. A KB (2020598) will be published soon.

Thank you,

Tobias Sutor

0 Kudos
jeltsenh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Tobias,

Great! I'm looking forward to the update.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RobertoGambelli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem here. PCNS 3.0.1 and vMA 5.0.0.2 (5.0 patch 2) . The UPS switch off, but ESX host doesn t shutdown

vi-admin@localhost:/[192.168.76.22]> sudo /opt/APC/PowerChute/group1/bin/shutdown

Use of uninitialized value $loglevel in string eq at /opt/APC/PowerChute/group1/bin/shutdownhost.pl line 59.

Connecting to server localhost ...

[11.06.2011, 20:46:54]debug: Connecting to server localhost

Operation :shutdown

Version on 192.168.76.22:

-------------------------------------------------------

[11.06.2011, 20:46:54]debug: Login by vi-fastpass to: 192.168.76.22

[11.06.2011, 20:46:54]debug: Error: Unable to login to host: "192.168.76.22"! Host may not be accessible over the network or is not managed by VMA

vi-admin@localhost:/[192.168.76.22]>

So the patch 2 does not solve this bug.

I'll try to go back to 5.0,0.0

0 Kudos
KarloKong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

> vMA 5.0.0.2 same issue

Thanks for this advice. I'm new to VMware and setting up an ESXi 5.0 Update 1 Server with APC SmartUPS with NMC.

So I don't have to try vMA 5.0.0.2 first and continue my setup with vMA 5.0

Are there any restrictions I have to consider using a free licence key?

IIRC I've read in some HowTos that the vMA works in paid licences environment only?

0 Kudos
RobertoGambelli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

With 5.0.0.0 it works. The host shutodown while with 5.0.0.2 don't . Now i try to upgrade vma to 5.0.0.1 via web interface and i'll tell you if it works with 5.0.0.1

The PCNS is always 3.0.1.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It will not work. vMA 5.0.0 is currently the only version which works with PCS. Version 5.0.0.1 and 5.0.0.2 do not work.

0 Kudos
RobertoGambelli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can confirm . The 5.0.0.0 is the only one working with pcns 3.0.1

But i think the 5.0.0.1 can work with pcns 3.0.0

0 Kudos
jeltsenh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, I've already tried 5.0.0.1 with pcns 3.0.0 and I can confirm it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
brucekconvergen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So is there any hope that this KB from VMware we're waiting on will appear?

0 Kudos
BryanWard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nice find, Bruce. Can you confirm that it works?

0 Kudos
brucekconvergen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm about to test it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos