VMware Cloud Community
listener
Contributor
Contributor

Mount a vmdk file

How can I use the vMa to mount a vmdk file to read the geometry information? I know I can do this with the VDDK but the call is sorta slow, depending on how the network is.

I'd like to be able to open up a vmdk file or a -flat file, but I'm not sure how to mount /vmfs/volumes in the vMa?

thanks,

- h

0 Kudos
4 Replies
listener
Contributor
Contributor

Let me put that another way, I know how to I can get into the datastore with VI Ext to see what vmdk files are there. I've used this

before: http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk41pubs/ApiReference/index.html

Previously, in the ESX console, I could open a -flat.vmdk file, and read it and write it back with Perl system calls. I wanted to do something similar in the vMa. The question is, is it possible? And do I have to mount /vmfs/volumes?

thanks,

-h

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

VDDK is the API you'll want to use to remotely access a VMDK, if your'e using the vmware-mount utility, it relies on fuse which is not the fastest thing in the world. If you use the actual VDDK API, you should be able get much better performance as this is the same API that all backup vendors are using which provides the whole vStorage API for Data Protection which includes change block tracking/etc.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware VCP3,4

VMware VCAP4-DCA

VMware scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

Getting Started with the vMA (tips/tricks)

Getting Started with the vSphere SDK for Perl

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
listener
Contributor
Contributor

Does this mean I should put the VDDK in the vMA?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's correct, if you want to utilize the VDDK API from vMA or any other management appliance that you can install VDDK on.

I ran into some issues installing VDDK on vMA 4.0 awhile back, here is the thread with the instructions in case you hit the same issue -

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware VCP3,4

VMware VCAP4-DCA

VMware scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

Getting Started with the vMA (tips/tricks)

Getting Started with the vSphere SDK for Perl

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos