VMware Cloud Community
slayer199
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for a DB schema to import ESX logs

I'm currently using VMA to ship our logs to our syslog server. While the syslog software does allow us to use the logs in raw format, I'd like to import the ESX logs them into a MS-SQL DB. I've been unable to find a DB schema that would support vpxa, hostd, vmkernel and vmkwarning imports. I'm not a SQL DBA so I have no idea how to do this myself. As we've already spent the money on the syslog software, I need to find a free SQL schema for VMware logs. We're currently on ESX 4.0U2. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

So do you want to import the logs into a database for analysis or just as a method to pass the data to your syslog host? If you want to get from ESX to the syslog you can configure the ESX(i) hosts to send the data directly.

If you're looking to get the data into a database, it might be easiest to have ESX(i) push the data to your syslog host and then pull it from there. Otherwise, you'll just have to build an import routine that deals with the log files. Samples from the 3 log files on ESXi are below. messages gets data from all three so you could just deal with that. SQL tools can parse the log to get

1) the date

2) the souce (hostd, vmkernel or vpxa

3) drop this part - [2010-08-10 20:02:24.785 24C40B90

4) import this warning 'Locale' or this verbose 'App' into error type fields

5) the rest into a free text field

You would also have to add a colum for the source host. Personally I would feed the data to the syslog server as they'll will already have a data schema defined and if you need the data else where you should be able to configure SQL Server to pull it from the syslog host.

vpxa

VM with vmid = 14 not found

Unexpected return result. Expect 1 sample, receive 2

Set internal stats for VM: 2 (vpxa VM id), 20 (vpxd VM id). Is FT primary? 0

AUG 10 13:02:56 Hostd: FormatField: Invalid (vim.vm.Message.5)

AUG 10 13:02:56 Vpxa: did not find a VM with ID 14 in the vmList

AUG 10 13:02:56 Vpxa: VM with vmid = 14 not found

hostd

FormatField: Invalid (vim.vm.Message.5)

Load: Loading existing file: /etc/vmware/license.cfg

Load: Loading existing file: /etc/vmware/license.cfg

ha-license-manager:Validate -> Valid evaluation detected for "VMware ESX Server 4.0" (lastError=0, desc.IsValid:Yes)

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
slayer199
Contributor
Contributor

thanks. That puts me on the right track

0 Kudos