VMware Cloud Community
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is resxtop on vMA ever going to be either fixed or adequate workaround provided?

I used to make use of the vMA more during the pre 5.1 days to avoid having to enable SSH on all of my hosts and to have a central point of host management for CLI type stuff.  Version 5.1 broke resxtop in the vCLI as has been documented and discussed in the past, and I abandoned the vMA as a management platform, since resxtop was a large part of what I wanted to use vMA/vCLI for.  I wound up enabling SSH on my hosts every time I wanted to look at performance.  I was hopeful that the 5.5 version would have a usable resxtop, but alas, it still is completely unusable!  Still a "known issue" listed in the release notes:

• resxtop fails to run agains vSphere targets
    When you run resxtop against a vSphere 5.5 target, an error results.Workaround: If your environment supports this, run esxtop in the ESXi Shell. Otherwise, no workaround.
    • If the SSL certificate is set in the vCLI client, the following error results:
      SSL Exception: Verification parameters
    • If the SSL certificate is not set, the following error results:
      Login failed, reason: HTTPS_CA_FILE or HTTPS_CA_DIR not set

• No output when running the resxtop vCLI command.
    When you install vCLI on a Linux system and attempt to run the resxtop command, no output results.Workaround: No workaround. You might be able to run the esxtop command in the ESXi Shell if you have access to the system. Enable the shell before you run the command.

Is this ever going to be fixed?  It has been broken for 2 years!  Or has anyone figured out a workaround?

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I've received word from engineering that the following workaround is required on vMA to get resxtop working, please run the following command:

sudo mv /usr/lib/vmware-rcli/lib/ /usr/lib/vmware

I've personally verified this and if you're using the regular vCLI standalone installer, this is not necessary. Sorry for the inconvenience and we'll be updating both the release notes as well as getting a KB article out.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

This issue was fixed with release of 5.1u1 as mentioned here vSphere 5.1 Update 1 Released

Let me ping a few folks to see if this was also ported over to 5.5, it could have been the case the fix came in late and did not make it to 5.5 GA

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I just got word from the engineer and this issue is in fact resolved in the 5.5 release of vCLI/vMA 5.5 but the release notes did not get updated. I've already filed a documentation bug to get that resolved, sorry for the confusion.

0 Kudos
tomilepp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just tryed vma 5.5 and resxtop still doesnt work:

vi-admin@vmware-vma:~> cat /etc/vma-release
vMA 5.5.0 BUILD-1387931

Copyright (C) 1998-2013 VMware, Inc. All rights reserved. This product
is protected by copyright and intellectual property laws in the United
States and other countries as well as by international treaties. VMware
products are covered by one or more patents listed at
http://www.vmware.com/go/patents.

VMware is a registered trademark or trademark of VMware, Inc. in the
United States and other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned
herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.
vi-admin@vmware-vma:~> uname -a
Linux vmware-vma 3.0.80-0.7-default #1 SMP Tue Jun 25 18:32:49 UTC 2013 (25740f8) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
vi-admin@vmware-vma:~> resxtop --server esx1 --user root
root@esx1' password:

vi-admin@vmware-vma:~>

No output from command, nor any errors.

0 Kudos
ckeith7777
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i am seeing the same thing with vMA 5.5.  I enter resxtop and server info, asks for user and password and does nothing but return to the command prompt.  No errors. 

0 Kudos
ckeith7777
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Anyone?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I've received word from engineering that the following workaround is required on vMA to get resxtop working, please run the following command:

sudo mv /usr/lib/vmware-rcli/lib/ /usr/lib/vmware

I've personally verified this and if you're using the regular vCLI standalone installer, this is not necessary. Sorry for the inconvenience and we'll be updating both the release notes as well as getting a KB article out.

ckeith7777
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

worked for me...  Thanks!

0 Kudos
tomilepp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Didnt work at first, but when i do "sudo bash" and run it on root, it worked.. Then in looked what difference there is in enviroment and notised that ssh forwards LC_CTYPE enviroment from my workstation. After i put:unset LC_CTYPE to .bashrc resxtop now works.

0 Kudos
karvenka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This workaround worked for me Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
levispears
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The sudo mv command listed above fixed this problem for me under vMA 5.5.0.0 build 1387931 against vSphere 5.1 (ESXi - 799733).  Was not working under either the vi-admin account or my adauth integrated accounts.

Cheers.

Levi

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is a vMA55 EP1 issue.  vMA55 GA does not have that problem.  It might be fixed in vMA55 patch 01.

0 Kudos
heldstma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have upgraded vSphere Management Assistant appliance 5.5 to build 1663088 and the resxtop issue has gone away.  We did experience the issue with Build 1387931.

0 Kudos
jusvmware
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am still seeing the same issue on VMA 5.5 , nothing happens when I add vifp target as esxi 5,5 host and then run resxtop.

I am running this build vMA 5.5.0 BUILD-1387931

0 Kudos
GCR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/vmware-rcli /usr/lib/vmware

That's all folks!!!! Now you may run resxtop successfully

The vMA is just missing the proper location for Remote Cli Libraries.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Dino201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vMA 6.0 resolve this issue.

0 Kudos