VMware Cloud Community
abufa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installing VM like Vima.

Hi!

How can I install a virtual machine with the characteristics that the Vima?

I want to install this in a linux 32 bits becouse I don't have nothing in 64 bits yet.

What steps I need to do fo do this?

Thak you for all.

----------------------------------------- Oscar http://www.aprendeinformaticaconmigo.com
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Flicka
Contributor
Contributor

VIMA is an appliance running on a 64-bit version of Linux. As described in this KB article, 64-bit guests require hardware which is also 64-bit and meets certain other requirements. Although it might be possible to emulate 64-bit operation on 32-bit hardware, you don't want it. It would be way too slow...

Sorry.

0 Kudos
halcabes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

> How can I install a virtual machine with the characteristics that the Vima?

You can create your own virtual appliance using VMware Studio. I don't know which VIMA characteristics you're interested in -- some (but not all) are easy to reproduce using VMware Studio.

> I want to install this in a linux 32 bits becouse I don't have nothing in 64 bits yet

Is there a reason that you're not installing VIMA itself? Even though it's a 64-bit Linux OS, it can be used with 32-bit applications as well as 64-bit applications.

--Harvey

Harvey Alcabes

Product Manager

VMware, Inc.

--Harvey Harvey Alcabes Product Manager VMware, Inc.
0 Kudos
bryceporter
Contributor
Contributor

This is not correct. I tried to import VIMA into my running ESX 3.5.0 U3 server (which is on a 64-bit capable machine, but it looks like ESX runs it at only 32bit), and I got this message in the console after powering it up:

"Your CPU does not support long mode. Use a 32bit distribution." (note, this is when the RedHat EL kernel first attempts to boot).

Any insight would be great.

Cheers,

Bryce Porter

0 Kudos
halcabes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>my running ESX 3.5.0 U3 server (which is on a 64-bit capable machine, but it looks like ESX runs it at only 32bit)

Does the machine running your ESX 3.5.0 U3 server meet the requirements for running a 64-bit GUEST OS (as described on http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vima/vima10/vima10relnotes.html and on )? If it has an Intel processor, is VT enabled?

--Harvey

Harvey Alcabes

Product Manager

VMware, Inc.

--Harvey Harvey Alcabes Product Manager VMware, Inc.
0 Kudos
bryceporter
Contributor
Contributor

It is an hp dl360 g5 with dual quad core 2.33ghz xeons. I don't think there is much it wouldn't support. We have similar machines running windows server 64-bit just fine. Otoh, esx does see all 24gb of memory.

How do I see if vt is enabled?

Cheers,

Bryce Porter

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any attached files are intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are notified that any distribution, copying, disclosure and use of, or reliance on the contents of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail (or email abuse@komatsuna.com) and destroy the transmission by deleting the original message attachments and all copies.

0 Kudos
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bryce what did you end up doing? I am also interested in this as I have an HP Proliant ML350 G4p that does not have VT technology and will therefore not run VIMA or vMA.

0 Kudos
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

> How can I install a virtual machine with the characteristics that the Vima?

You can create your own virtual appliance using VMware Studio. I don't know which VIMA characteristics you're interested in -- some (but not all) are easy to reproduce using VMware Studio.

Could you give instructions on how to create a 32 bit vMA? I have no experience with RHEL and unfortunately I can't use vMA as my CPU does not support Intel VT.

Thanks

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can use any UNIX/Linux system that supports the installation of the vCLI which will include the vSphere SDK for Perl by default. Choices from RHEL, ubuntu, Fedora, etc. would work. RHEL might be difficult as you'll need a proper licensed version since its not free like Fedora, so you may want to use Fedora or ubuntu which both should work on 32bit version. You'll be able to replicate majority of what vMA gives you minus the vi-fastpass which is what is required for ghettoVCBg2 if that's what you're trying to get at.

In terms of installation, I would suggest looking at the vCLI documentation on how to install on a Linux system. If you're not comfortable with a Linux environment, I highly suggest look into using vCLI on Windows but the script I wrote will not be supported under Windows nor an official vMA appliance from VMware.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you William! My reason for wanting to create a 32bit vMA is to use your ghettoVCBg2 script, but also your scripts for APC shutdown (http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9308). I can live without the ghettoVCBg2 as I have more or less understood how to use ghettoVCB except for the few questions I've posted.

Now with regards to the APC shutdown I'm clueless as you scripts rely on VIMA/vMA. I can't find a version that does not require the virtual appliance. Similar situation to your backup script.

Thanks

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yea, sorry to say but there won't be an easy work around. Its probably best for you to find a way to host the official vMA vApp versus trying to look for a hack/work around since I"ll probably be seeing the same questions over/over again and I'll tell you the same thing Smiley Wink Always look on the HCL and verify all requirements prior to committing to hardware requirements, even those that you own already.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using the official vMA vApp would be ideal, but as you are aware my CPU falls short on VT. This isn't going to change as I don't have the option of replacing the server, thus my frustration and ongoing quest to work around this issue.

Thanks for your patience Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
SKP02IN
Contributor
Contributor

I have a AMD Athlon X2, but still does not seem to work, iam using sun virtual box 3.0.4 to import the the VIMA OVF.

Regards,

skp02inatyahoo.com

0 Kudos
jjj0923
Contributor
Contributor

I have a follow up question. I have a number of esxi 3.5 servers and would like to be able to manage their backups from one central source. If I have a host running esxi4.5 and vim4.1 - can I kick control the backups of the vm running on my 32 bit esxi3.5 servers from the esxi 4 server that is running vim4.1 and ghettovcb2?

thanks in advance

Jeff

0 Kudos