VMware Cloud Community
cskowmh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do I use the new resxtop NFS/Power functionality from 4.0 U2 with vMA?

Hi guys,

We've made the migration to using ESXi in our vSphere environment, and use the vMA to do some of the day to day management of the environment. Now that U2 is out, we're interested in accessing the new NFS/Power metrics functionality of esxtop, however the currently version of the vCLI that comes with VMA doesn't have access to those metrics. So far the only way to see it is to console in and running esxtop, which I don't view as friendly enough.

Since we're not going to turn on SSH on our ESXi hosts, we're looking for something we can run through the vMA. I ran a quick vima-update scan on the appliance and nothing pops up, which makes sense since I've only seen security RPMs trickle down through it thus far. So do I just try to dig up a new version of the vCLI and layer it on or is there a more elegant approach?

Thanks for the input!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hi,

The current version of vMA 4.0 is based on the GA release of vCLI 4.0, there has not been a refreshed in vMA bits for Update1 which had few minor vCLI fixes or the latest Update2 which includes enhanced resxtop, VMware does not do a good job of keeping these things up to date. However, you just need to download the latest version of vCLI 4.0 Update 2 install it on vMA, that'll provide you with the latest version. Hopefully VMware does a better job of providing these via vima-update as that is a great method of keeping the virtual appliance up to date w/o having to re-deploy.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

Getting Started with the vMA (tips/tricks)

Getting Started with the vSphere SDK for Perl

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
cskowmh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Maybe I could just grab the binary from a standard ESX console and copy that into /usr/lib/vmware-vcli/bin/resxtop in vMA as a bandaid? I don't have any standard ESX boxes Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hi,

The current version of vMA 4.0 is based on the GA release of vCLI 4.0, there has not been a refreshed in vMA bits for Update1 which had few minor vCLI fixes or the latest Update2 which includes enhanced resxtop, VMware does not do a good job of keeping these things up to date. However, you just need to download the latest version of vCLI 4.0 Update 2 install it on vMA, that'll provide you with the latest version. Hopefully VMware does a better job of providing these via vima-update as that is a great method of keeping the virtual appliance up to date w/o having to re-deploy.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It's not recommended to just copy binaries around, there maybe libraries that it utilizes. The best way is just to install the latest version of vCLI 4.0 Update2

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

0 Kudos
cskowmh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks William, I just layered in the new vCLI. While it complains a little on a shared object, resxtop works fine with the new "u" and "y" screens!

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

np.

I think it complains because they already exists from when the vCLI is first installed, as you've found, you can just ignore that.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

0 Kudos