VMware Cloud Community
RobertLi
Contributor
Contributor

How do I create mutiple admin accounts on vMA?

Dear Friends,

As we all known, the vMA has only two built-in account vi-admin and vi-user. In our farm there are serveral Esxi engineer, I want them login with their ow IDs on vMA.

Can anyone guide me how to create account on vMA which as the same permission as vi-admin? Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JarryG
Expert
Expert

vMA is basically just linux-based (not sure which distro) VM, with some pre-installed vm-tools and 3rd party agents (cli, vsphere/sdk, etc). You can add users as in any other *nix (check "man useradd" or "man adduser"). You just have to verify new user is in proper user group, the same as vi-admin...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
RobertLi
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Garry,

Thanks for your help.

I created user account admin1 with useradd command and add it the same group with vi-admin. But I still got "You don't have permission to execute this command" when run vifp command.  Would you pls suggest?

vi-admin@vMA:~> groups vi-admin
vi-admin : root dialout video
vi-admin@vMA:~> groups admin1

admin1@vMA:/home> vifp addserver 192.168.0.202 --username root --password Btpassw0rd@234
Error: You don't have permission to execute this command.

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

First, I just hope you skipped one line in that input, because as it is, "admin1" is not member of any group (no output to "groups admin1")

Next, cold you please check permissions for that "vifp" command (find with i.e. "whereis" and check with "ls -l")?

Also check if "admin1" has path to vifp command in his PATH variable...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware ESXi 5 to vSphere Management Assistant (vMA)

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
RobertLi
Contributor
Contributor

1. The new account admin1 has the same group with vi-admin.

uid=1003(admin1) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),16(dialout),33(video)
vi-admin@vMA:/usr/bin> id vi-admin
uid=1000(vi-admin) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),16(dialout),33(video)

2. Vifp command path is included in enviroment path variable:

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin:/usr/java/jre-vmware/bin:/opt/vmware/bin

3. Vifp permission:

vi-admin@vMA:/usr/bin> ls -l vifp
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 68 2012-05-21 13:56 vifp

0 Kudos
RobertLi
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Friend,

The issue not fixed. Anyone suggest on this?

I suggest vMA add this feature in the last release.

0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud

Step 1 : Get root level access on the VMA

• Login to your VMA over ssh with with the vi-admin user and your password.
  • use sudo to become the root user :
Last login: Thu Dec 12 12:38:01 2013 from 192.168.10.21
vi-admin@vma:~> sudo su -
vi-admin's password:
vma:~ #

Step 2: Create yourself an account!

Now that you have root access, noted by the # prompt, let’s create a user and give that user a local unix password:

vma:~ # useradd testuser

vma:~ # passwd testuser

Changing password for testuser.

New UNIX password:

Retype new UNIX password:

Password changed.

vma:~ #

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos