VMware Cloud Community
melfarber
Contributor
Contributor

Error when running vifp addserver <server>

When I run vifp addserver <server> it asks for the root password to which I give the correct root password to the host.  It then reports:

Error: An error occurred while creating users ons <host>

It seems to add user vi-admin00, but not vi-user00, base on another host on another VCeneter.  The one without the problem is running ESXi 4.0.  This one is running ESX 3.5.

We are not seeing events or anything else to indicate where the problem is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mel

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you taken a look at the vMA vifp logs under /var/log/vmware/vma/vifp.log & also the ESX logs under /var/log/vmkernel & perhaps /var/log/secure to see if there's any issues with the account login/etc.

Also note that both vMA 4.0 & 4.1 only supports ESX(i) 3.5 Update 2 or greater, ensure you're running at least that. You can check by using vmware -l

0 Kudos
melfarber
Contributor
Contributor

In VCeneter I see 3.5.0, 153875 as the version of ESX.  We are using vMa 4.0.  All I see in the vifp.log is Unknown error.  On the host it shows the admin account being created, but not the user account.

Is there any other place to check?

Mel

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Can you run "vmware -v" on the ESX host, it will tell you what build level you're at. It should be 3.5 Update 2 or greater

0 Kudos
melfarber
Contributor
Contributor

vmware -v doesn't work, but we are at ESX 3.5 update 4.

0 Kudos
melfarber
Contributor
Contributor

User root@127.0.0.1 logged in
Task created : ....updateUser
HaUserManager  error] Command failed: passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
TaskManager Task completed
Vmomi Activateion : Invoke done [updateUser] on [vim.host.LocalAccountManager:ha-localacctmgr]
Vmomi throw vmodl.faultSystem Error
vmodl.fault.SystemErorr
dynamicTpe = <unset>,
reason = "paswd: Authentication token manipulation erorr
",
  msg = ""
ha-eventmgr : user root logged out
If I use the wrong password with vifp addserver, it fails on user root@127.0.0.1 log in, so I know I have the correct password
Mel
0 Kudos