VMware Cloud Community
LloydSimmonds
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi and VMware vSphere Management Assistant (vMA)

We are a care home company looking to virtualise our environment using ESXi 4.1. I need to connect the ESXi running on a DELL poweredge R610 to a UPS. I have downloaded the new VMware vSphere Management Assistant (vMA), installed it and verified that it can connect to the ESXi via the ESXi client interface. My next task is to install the vmtools on vMA, but the instructions on how to do this not very clear to me.

Tried the following steps from Dell_ UPS Management Software Installation and Configuration User's Guide

• Insert the VMware server installation CD. (is this the free iso download for ESXi install?)

• Go to \VMware\RPMS to locate the VMware Tools installation package. (Where do I do this, in the vMA console from the ESXi client interface?)

• Log in to the guest operating system from the virtual machine console (I guess this is the vMA)
  • ·         Select the template name and then right-click and select Install/Upgrade VMware Tools from the menu. (I selected the first option, from two given)

• Mount the CD with the command: using mount /dev/cdrom /mnt (vi-admin is not allowed to use this command, has to be root?)

Needless to say I have NOT made much progress from these instructions so far, can someone please help me. I have attached doc that has the instructions.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - you should not have to install VMware tools into the vMA as it will already have tools installed -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos