VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Disabling vMA 4.1 log collection

Our Hosts are getting an event storm from our vMA server causing some abnormal table growth in our vCenter server DB.

We identified the likely root cause as log collection setup on the vMA. Rather than find the issue and fix it, I'd like to just disable logging altogether. It isn't being used and it's going to change with vMA 5 anyway.

I didn't set this up so, I'm looking for instructions for disabling it completely. This is what I planned on doing:

• Identify Host connected to vMA: vifp listservers
  • Disable vilogger on each Host: vilogger enable --server [ESX/ESXi IP or HOSTNAME]

1. Is this the correct process and all I would need to do? I wasn't sure if there was anything I could/should disable on the vMA server as well.
  2. I also want to verify disabling vilogger on the Hosts only affects vMA collection and will not affect the Host in any other way.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Correct.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Disable vilogger on each Host: vilogger enable --server [ESX/ESXi IP or HOSTNAME]

1. Is this the correct process and all I would need to do? I wasn't sure if there was anything I could/should disable on the vMA server as well.
  2. I also want to verify disabling vilogger on the Hosts only affects vMA collection and will not affect the Host in any other way. 

1. The command you want is either

vilogger disable --server <servername>

or just

vilogger disable

Which is a global command.

Here's the command guide for further reference:

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vima/vma41/doc/vma_41_guide.pdf

2. This does not affect the host in any other (negative) way.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks yes...that's what I meant vilogger disable --server and thanks for the note about the global command.

I think I was under the impression that I was enabling vilogger on Host but, now I see I am only disabling collection from the vMA server and not changing any Host side settings. Correct?

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Correct.

0 Kudos