VMware Cloud Community
topic054
Contributor
Contributor

Can't connet vMA to the management network

Hi

When trying to install vMA 4.1 I do not have the option of choosing "Management Network" which should be important regarding to the installation notes.

The only option I get is to choose between Vlan 1 and Vlan 2. The "managament network" are not available to choose although my two ESXi servers are connected to it.

Any suggestions?

Best regards

lennart

0 Kudos
6 Replies
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You have to create VM Network with same VLAN tag just as "Management Network" and connect vima to this VM Network.

0 Kudos
topic054
Contributor
Contributor

OK, Thanks

My current configuration is:

In VSpehere Client - EsxI host - Configuration - Networking - Vlan ID = Management Network

Where should the changes been made?

Regards

0 Kudos
topic054
Contributor
Contributor

Installation notes:

"IMPORTANT make sure vMA is connected to the management network on which the vCenter and ESXI systems that are are intended vMA targets are located"

What I can see the ESXi servers, as stated above, are connected to the management network but it can not be choosen during installation of vMA.

Regards

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The vSphere has networks of several types : VMKernel, Virtual Machine Network and Service Console (for ESX); your Management Network has VMKernel type, and VIMA (because it is vm) cannot be connected to it. Therefore you have to create Virtual Machine Network with the same VLAN ID as at Management Network.

Then if your Management Network and the created Virtual Machine Network with the same VLAN ID are connected by one vswitch and the networks are connected, you will get the desired result - VIMA and ESXi will be connected to the same network.

0 Kudos
topic054
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

The approach and steps to accomplish this should be in detail explained in the installation notes I think. They are not unfortunatly.

Is it possible to connect vMA to either Vlan 1 or Vlan 2 and make sure that network connectivity between Vlan and the EsxI hosts exists?

Is this a possible work around this and that will function equal good?

Regards

L

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>Is it possible to connect vMA to either Vlan 1 or Vlan 2 and make sure that network connectivity between Vlan and the EsxI hosts exists?

Yes, you have to create Virtual Machine Network with the same VLAN ID as at Management Network and connect VIMA to this network.

To check you have to set VIMA IP address from the same network and check connection over console VIMA by ping esx ip address & vc ip address.

Is this a possible work around this and that will function equal good?

Yes, if you use correct VLAN ID and physical connection exist - things will come right.