VMware Cloud Community
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

which esx 5.5 license allows for 16 vsmp

hi experts

I have an ESX 5.5 server, with two 8-core CPUs. I have the following license:

VMware vSphere 5 Hypervisor Licensed for 2 physical CPUs (unlimited cores per CPU). This means I would have 16 cores available to my VM

But my sole virtual machine only sees 8 CPU cores instead of the 16 that I am expecting.

EDIT:

a quick test on creating a vm shows that I can create a vm with 16 cores, but i get an error when i tried to power it on.

"Feature vsmp not licensed, requires 16 have 8".

So i guess I have a license issue. what kind of license would get me 16 vsmp?

END EDIT

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys

davy

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

can you post a pic for the same

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hey,

that is a limitation of the free Hypervisor license you are using. Only 8 vCPU are available per VM.

Can be found here under specifications: Free Virtualization with VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) | United States

Regards

Tim

Edit: I also moved your thread to the hypervisor forums

0 Kudos
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi tim,

thanks for pointing it out. Indeed when i just tried to create a new vm with 16 cores i get the same error.

Do you know what license should i put on there then?

0 Kudos
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi all

i found the license!

this:  VMware vSphere 5 Enterprise Plus Licensed for 2 physical CPUs (unlimited cores per CPU) allows my VM to have 16 cores! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hey,

in 5.5 the limitation of vCPU was removed from most licenses. Even the standard license will allow you to use all cores

0 Kudos
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the original license had a limitation of 8 way vSMP. I think that was part of what's blocking me from having more than 8 vCPUs.

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Yes it did. But you didn't have the standard license. The standard license is paid one. You had the free hypervisor license

0 Kudos