VMware Cloud Community
tpaulson
Contributor
Contributor

vmware-vmrc.exe desktop shortcut won't connect to ESXi 5.1

I am trying to use a desktop shortcut for vmware-vmrc.exe to open the remote console of a ESXi 5.1 vm.  When I attempt to open the shortcut I receive the following error.  "Unable to connect to the MKS: Internal error."    see screenshot below

If I disable host SSL in the vSphere Client for the host, I can connect via the desktop shortcut, but then I can not use the remote console from within the vSphere 5.1 client because I receive an error stating SSL is required.  How do I get remote console to work from a desktop shortcut and from within vSphere client on ESXi 5.1?

To disable host SSL, I have been doing this:

Click on Configuration tab and go to Advanced settings...

Goto config/defaults/security/host then uncheck ssl

The syntax I have in my desktop short on a Win7 64bit machine is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\4.1\vmware-vmrc.exe" -h 192.168.1.232 -u "root" -p "password"
"[datastore1] XP Pro 64 bit/XP Pro 64 bit.vmx"

Note:  This same shortcut works fine if connecting to a ESXi 5.0 host without disabling SSL on the host.  So it would appear something has change in ESXi 5.1 that prevents desktop shortcuts using the vmware-vmrc.exe from working.

vmmks.png

23 Replies
FlorianMRVA
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

I have exactly the same problem.

If SSL is disable, the shortcup can run the console but in VSphere CLient I receive message SSL required, but if SSL is enable it's the opposite !

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
yitianli
Contributor
Contributor

hi

I also use vmrc 5.1 and esxi5.1

I did not use ssl

But tickets

I encountered a problem

I hope your help

-------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------

No matter how I always prompted

-----

connect succeeded

onConnectionStateChange - connectionState: 1, host: 125.67.235.230, datacenter: 资阳, vmId: [DISK_S_4] 125.67.235.233/125.67.235.233.vmx, userRequested: true, reason: An error occurred that affected the security of the connection

-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------

3333333333333333333333.jpg

Thank

0 Kudos
tpaulson
Contributor
Contributor

I have no idea on how to resolve this issue.  I opened a ticket with Vmware.  A tech spent 2 hours logged into my system and was unable to get the vmware-vmrc.exe shortcut to work.  He said not very many users use a console shortcut so they hadn't seen the issue.  I have not heard anything further from VMware.

0 Kudos
FlorianMRVA
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

I want to know if you have a resolution of this issue with the support.

I still have the problem with all the test i've done.

I need this feature and would appreciate kindly help me !!

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
tpaulson
Contributor
Contributor

I gave up on trying to find a resolution and reloaded the test server with 5.0.

During a webex session, tech support had me download VMRC SDK 5.1 and install the VMRC plugin in that download.

I did receive the following response from tech support a few days after I had reverted back to 5.0.  I have not tried creating a shortcut to a 5.1 host using the commands they listed.  Let me know if it works for you.

From VMware tech support:

------------------------------------------------------------

We are not able to reproduce this issue and we are able to go ahead and take a console connection to VM's running from 5.1 host using the VMRC plugin,

Target: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\VMware VMRC Plug-in\Internet Explorer\vmware-vmrc.exe" -h 10.112.96.8 -u "root" -p "vmware123" "[datastore1 (2)] VCSA51-2/VCSA51-2.vmx"

Start in: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\VMware VMRC Plug-in\Internet Explorer"

Let me know if you are able to make these changes to those shortcuts on the desktop.

------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
FlorianMRVA
Contributor
Contributor

Hello !

I'm testing this feedback from VMWare tech support, and i'm sorry but it does not work!

I have the following message :

error.png

You find below my command line:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VMware\VMware Remote Console Plug-in 5.1\Internet Explorer\vmware-vmrc.exe" -h 192.168.1.1 -u login -p passwd "[VMDataStore3] VM_2008ServerR2x64/VM_2008ServerR2x64.vmx"

Start in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VMware\VMware Remote Console Plug-in 5.1\Internet Explorer\"

Thank's a lot for your help

0 Kudos
tpaulson
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry it didn't work.  I was hoping their target syntax would work.  I have to admit, I suspected it wouldn't work which is why I never bothered to reload 5.1 on the test system again.  I am afraid I don't have any other suggestions other than opening a ticket with VMware yourself.   Let me know if you find a way to get it working.

0 Kudos
FlorianMRVA
Contributor
Contributor

someone has another idea for this problem?

I don't understand...

Regards,

0 Kudos
Pagri
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Not sure how far everyone has got on this painful issue, but I have the following setup in a virtual lab:-

ESXi Host 1 running version 5.0 U2

ESXi Host 2 running version 5.1

Both hosts have SSL enabled via the advanced settings options in the client (default setting)

I am running vmrc 5.1 which came with the 5.1 SDK and the shortcut im using to connect to the 5.1 host is "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\VMware VMRC Plug-in\Internet Explorer\vmware-vmrc.exe" -X -h "192.168.0.131" -u "root" -p "Password" "[lab-Local-151] win7/win7.vmx"

This works fine, console access is presented via the vmrc session and also still available via the vSphere client. This is also still fine when connecting to a 5.0 U2 host.

When using VMRC Version 2.5 (or pretty much any legacy version of VMRC) when connecting to 5.1 host I get the error:-

Unable to connect to the MKS: Internal error.

Not sure if this helps anyone? but I think this is pretty much what Vmware technical advised earlier in this post..

Cheers

0 Kudos
FlorianMRVA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pagri,

you have Win Xp or Win 7 on the vphere client PC?

My command line is the same as yours,except for the -X

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VMware\VMware Remote Console Plug-in 5.1\Internet Explorer\vmware-vmrc.exe" -h "192.168.1.110"   -u "UserName" -p "Password" "[VMDataStore3] VM_2008ServerR2x64_Tst03/VM_2008ServerR2x64_Tst03.vmx"

I'm still in deadlock !

Regards

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VMware\VMware Remote Console Plug-in 5.1\Internet Explorer\vmware-vmrc.exe" -h "192.168.1.110"   -u "UserName" -p "Password" "[VMDataStore3] VM_2008ServerR2x64_Tst03/VM_2008ServerR2x64_Tst03.vmx"

Hmmmm.... usually, I provide the MOB ID for the virtual machines instead of the path.

~vmware-vmrc.exe -h <hostip> -M <MOBID>

To get the mob id:

1. Access https://<ESXIP>/mob/?moid=ha-folder-vm

2. Accept the certificates and provide password and look for your VM in the list.

3. The listed number against your VM is its MOB id.

Attached screenshot might help.

Thanks,

zXi

0 Kudos
FlorianMRVA
Contributor
Contributor

Thank's to look for my problem, but I regret to tell you that it does not work better. I still have the same message

error.png

Regards

0 Kudos
LehmannS
Contributor
Contributor

hi racked vSphere 5.1 Admin´s,

i have the same issue.

the call:

%COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\VMware\VMware Remote Console Plug-in 5.1\Internet Explorer\vmware-vmrc.exe -H <ESXi-Host or vCenterServer> -p <username> -p <password> -m <MOB ID = vm-1234>

the result:

VMware Player is not installed properly on this system and connot function. Please reinstall VMware Player.

vmware-vmrc.exe_error_player.JPG

i have never installed vmware player ...

older vmrc results error: mks ... internal error ... (SSL problem)    (5.1 vmrc ->to-> 5.1 esxi/vCenterServer)

the same call with vmrx.exe 5.0 ->to-> 5.0 ESXi/vCenter is ok

the package VMware-viclient.exe include the vmware-vmrc.exe file. also, it´s a VMware BASIC-Support Call.

But the Support means, we need SDK-Support? Why? We called only a exe-file.

Have somebody more information?

Regards

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I was looking through the release notes of 5.1 vmware-vmrc and I am able to come to this point. Prior 5.1, the vmware-vmrc does include the install of vmware-player.exe while installing. This I was able to confirm by checking the installation files of 5.0 vmware-vmrc. Hence in 5.0 vmrc, we will not face the issues of vmplayer not present.

However, going from 5.1, "into the cloud", the dependency of vmware-vmrc on vmware-player is not in the installation files, but from the browser prespective. ie. You need to have the correct vmplayer plugin downloaded for your browser. The reason for having the vmplayer support is for serving the background and UI for the Remote console. That is why we will not be seeing the vmplayer.exe in the installation files of vmware-vmrc 5.1

Wat to do about it: I guess we should find out the plugin downloaded for the browsers and tweak them in the installation files of vmware-vmrc Or, start using browser based remote console which provides the vmplayer dependency.

Right now, I am googling for the mozilla firefox plugin.

HTH,

zXi

0 Kudos
neaker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FlorianMRVA,

I am running Windows 7 (dont think thats the issue though)

The VMRC plugin i am using is the one that comes with the vSphere Client version 5.0, this plugin is sufficent to connect to the 5.1 hosts using the shortcuts defined in the earlier post.

I agree with zXi, it appears that VMware Player needs to be available as an IE plugin for the VMRC 5.1 plugin to work - I will also continue to investigate this.

But as a workaround for me im using the latest VMRC plugin from vSphere Client 5.0

cheers

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

But as a workaround for me im using the latest VMRC plugin from vSphere Client 5.0

Hmmm... First thing is that I did try to use the 5.0 vmrc plugin to connect 5.1 vms.. same error. I wonder...

0 Kudos
LehmannS
Contributor
Contributor

here are new info´s from the vmware support

the call "..\vmware-vmrc.exe -h <ESXi_vCenterServer> -u <username> -p <passowrd> -m <MOB ID>" is a nonofficial function in vsphere.

-> no support for the problem "shortcut"

-> if run, nice, if not run -> shit happens ... grrrr (support: use vSphere(Web)Client)

support: -> to use a alternative vmware remote console choose to VMview or vCloudDirector 😞

ok, let´s check out vCloudDirector .............

Regards

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I separately downloaded firefox plugin and placed them in the same folder and tweaked a little bit to get it running. But still the interface is called from the browser which uses the player framework for the UI..

BTW, check out http://labs.vmware.com/flings/boomerang and read out the reviews.. quite a useful tool too..

0 Kudos
FlorianMRVA
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your research.

Are you googling for Mozilla Plugin?

Regard's

0 Kudos