VMware Cloud Community
dtemoche
Contributor
Contributor

vmnic gets an IP automaticly every time a plug a cable, how can avoided?

HI,

I recently installed vSphere but keep the datastore, everything was good until I needed to plug a cable to a vmnic in order to get connectivity.

No matter in what ethernet port I connect the cable always is assigned the same IP, but if I connect this same cable on mi laptop not assign any IP.

This behaviour is avoiding to get connectivity, can you help me? I don't know what could be the problem.

is it maybe a previous configuration on datastore?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Some details about your setup would be helpful.

In case it's a 169.254.x.x address that you see, then it's a self assigned address (APIPA - Automatic Private IP Addressing ) address, which means that no DHCP server could be reached.

André

0 Kudos
dtemoche
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Thansk for your answer.

I send attach an image of the vmni2 used to get connectivity. As you can see this nic has 1.5.1.5 and I don't know why or how is assign that IP.

Management IP is 192.168.200.10

My MV has 1.5.1.6 and the server outside EXSi has 1.5.1.4 from my MV I can not reach 1.5.1.4

Please, let me know if you can help me.

Regards

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It' not the vmnic which has this IP address assigned, but the physical switch to which the port is connected.
What you see is what the CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol) returns.

André

0 Kudos
dtemoche
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yes, you're right.

That IP (1.5.1.5) is the IP of the default gateway of the physical switch.

However, I still have no connectivity for my VM, if I connect my laptop to the physical switch using the same cable I have reach the Physical server (1.5.1.4), but if I plug this same cable back to the ESXi I lost connectivity.

I am trying connect my laptop to the ESXi using the same IP (1.5.1.4) but I can not get connectivity to the VM (1.5.1.6).

I don't know what else to try. I am gonna try setting up another VM to discard the VM that was created previously.

Regards

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With the laptop and the virtual machine on the same subnet, you should get connectivity. I assume that both, your VM and the laptop have the same subnet mask.

How do you test connectivity? Please note that some operating systems come with their own firewalls, which needs to be configured from within the guest OS.

André

0 Kudos
dtemoche
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I tryed connecting my laptop to the same port nic of the ESXi using an IP of the same network, but nothing I can't get connectivity.

The VM has two nics, one is working fine, but the other nic (1.5.1.6) has no connectivity.

I created another vSwitch using a different vmnic of the server but the result is the same,

Descarted VLAN, I used my laptop to try connectivity with the external server and it works.

I do not what else to try.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

For me to be able to give detailed advice, please provide details about your network configuration:

• virtual port groups with VLAN-IDs if applicable
  • vSwitch configuration (for the vSwitches) that are used by the port groups
  • vmnic <-> physical switch port connection
  • physical switch port configurations (e.g. show run int gix/y)

André

0 Kudos