VMware Cloud Community
KM_MPL1
Contributor
Contributor

vmk1/2 for iSCSI not pingable on new network adapter

Issue: Tried to switch out a quad port 1gbps adapter for a dual port 10gbps adapter for iSCSI traffic. After moving ports, iSCSI datastores would not connect. vmkernels are not pingable.

Ive just added an intel x520 (82599eb 10-gigabit sfi/sfp+) network adapter into two hosts in a cluster. Previously, the were using an i340 for iscsi traffic and had their vmkernels 1-4 attached to those interfaces for iscsi traffic. i removed two of the kernels from the host, removed the 4 1gbps interfaces and added the 10gbps interfaces. I made sure the port groups were configured to the standard switch, that only has those two 10gbps interfaces on it. the vmk1/2 have addresses assigned to them for their appropriate vlans and vlans assigned to the port groups. the interfaces on the switch connecting to these vmk's are trunk ports (ive also tried assigning native vlans to these ports). I have verified in the port groups that there is only one active vmnic for each. I am able to ping the iscsi targets and the default gateway from my workstation, but not the vmk1/2 interfaces on the esxi host. From the host, I am not able to ping the gateway, the other host, the iscsi target, etc. The network is functioning without issue, it seems these interfaces on the host are not pinging. Ive also swapped cables, to verify that the cable is not the issue, checked the port for CRC errors, etc, but have found nothing. Ive reinstalled ESXi incase there was something wrong with the previous install, and still, nothing. Im completely lost as to where this connectivity issue is coming from. Any help, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The 10gb network adapter is an Intel X520-2, connecting to a 10gig switch with DAC copper cables

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@KM_MPL1 

You are missing another screenshot which could be helpful to others - the graphic of the vSwitch showing the VMkernel ports (including their IPs and VLANs) on the left and the uplink ports on the right.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
KM_MPL1
Contributor
Contributor

Ahh my bad, i missed that one. I have attached below. 

This is the vswitch that would be handling iscsi traffic only. 

0 Kudos