VMware Cloud Community
Fabi8520
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Client doesnt open Datastore Folder after creating a RDM vmdk

i created, over a SSH connection to my ESXi (HP Custom 6.0 update 1), a RDM .vmdk file to a 4TB Harddrive

Since i did that ,the folder in which i created the vmdk file, won't open anymore

it displays "searching datastore" and it won't go any further than that

but i created 3* 2TB RDM .vmdk files in the same Folder and these worked fine when i connected them to a vm

then i created the other one and i cant go into the folder anymore...

i hope somebody can help me

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just a quick question. Is it the same when you use the HTML5 vSphere Host Client, rather than the vSphere Client?

André

0 Kudos
Fabi8520
Contributor
Contributor

in the webinterface it doesnt even show any datastore

but i managed to connect it to the vm when the vm is turned off

but now i have another problem

the vm cant start because the disk that i've recently added can't start

if i remove the disk the vm works again...

but i need that disk on the vm...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

in the webinterface it doesnt even show any datastore

No datastores at all? Not even the one on which you created the RDM mappings? That's strange.

Do datastores show up without the RDM ?

Is a new vmware.log file created when you try to start the VM with the RDM attached to it? If so please attach this .log file to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
Fabi8520
Contributor
Contributor

there is a loading bar but nothing happens then...

in the log it says that it can't lock the -rdmp.vmdk

and if i remove the 4TB drive, the VM boots up, so it has something to do with the drive....

i hope the log helps....

i will try later, to delete the old .vmdk and -rdmp.vmdk files and create a new RDM vmdk for that drive and test it again....

i'll keep you updated if it solved the problem....

0 Kudos
Fabi8520
Contributor
Contributor

i deleted the old files and created a new vmdk pointer, but now i cant even access the Datastore when all VMs are turned off...

if i connect via SCP to the ESXi and go to that folder i get a timeout, the same when i use ssh....

--------------------Update-------------------------

after creating the new vmdk pointer, somehow i could open the folder and added the new vmdk to the VM

then tried to start it and it showed the same error... i attached the new .log file

0 Kudos