VMware Cloud Community
stevan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere 7.0.3u steps to share VMFS datastores

I have two ESXi datastores that I would like to share their local datastore. They are in the same cluster but they do not see the other ESXi datastore. What are the steps that I need to do in order for them to share their local datastores? 

When I try to migrate it only sees the host that the vm resides on.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

A "vSphere Essentials Plus" supports   coldmigration and enchanced svMotion and the later means that the VM change the location of a Host and Datastore in the same time. So you can migrate a running VM from HostA and datastoreX to HostB and datastoreY.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I don't think there's any such concept.

If you want the local disks of multiple hosts to be treated as a single datastore, vSAN does that, though it has specific hardware/software/licensing requirements.

Migrating between hosts with your current setup is possible, you would need to select the appropriate migration type on page 1 of the wizard you posted a screenshot of.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
stevan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

According to VMware you should be able to share local datastores between host. please see:

Sharing a VMFS Datastore Across Hosts (vmware.com)

Mount Datastores (vmware.com)

Its not clear to me on how to go about doing it. If someone has experience in completing this task I should would be most thankful for their help.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The link that you are referring to is about shared storage, and not the ESXi hosts' local storage.

Anyway, migrating VM's between ESXi hosts with local storage only is possible with vSphere Essentials Plus licensing (or higher). Note that in order to migrate VM's online (powered on) between hosts, you need to have vMotion configured.

André

0 Kudos
stevan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, Ok I have vSphere 7 standard license. I will rectify that. Is there a link to setting up shared  ESXi hosts' local storage?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In order to use a host's local storage on other hosts, you may license VMware's vSAN, or use third party products like StarWind Virtual SAN, StorMacic SvSAN, etc. for which you can find information on the Internet.

André

0 Kudos
stevan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for this update. So I guess I'm confused. Do I need a License for essential plus or just get vSAN for sharing local datastore? 

Do I have to redeploy ESXi with VSAN or can my current ESXi be upgraded with vSAN license to turn on those  features?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

vSAN is a total different story. You need

1. supportet HW
  2. extra license
  3. 3 hosts hat minium(yes 2 node cluster exists.. but there is a 3rd. one namend withness(which is a virtual ESXI))
  4. 10G networking
  5. vCenter
  6. RAID1 like acting (less space)

I assume you hosts have RAID controllers.. and thats what vSAN not like to see. vSAN also dont "share" existing VMFS... it  collecting the devices and create an Object based store.

If you only have a need to migrate a VM from one local storage to another than you need a vCenter of course and than depends on the license if you can do it only as cold migration or enchanced svMotion.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
harigo_neustar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This require the disk volume to be presented across the hosts and doesn't work with local disks

0 Kudos
harigo_neustar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would suggest using vSAN to share the local disks across ESXi hosts.   However it requires the datastore be destroyed and create it as VSAN.

0 Kudos
stevan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It would seem that vSAN has a few of hurdles to overcome if I were to go that route.

You need following:

1. supported HW (not and issue)
  2. extra license (not and issue)
  3. 3 hosts hat minimum (yes 2 node cluster exists.. but there is a 3rd. one named withness (which is a virtual ESXI)) ( have two physical host now, adding a third virtual host would not be a problem)
  4. 10G networking (problem if its needs 10G then I wont go this way)
  5. vCenter (not and issue)
  6. RAID1 like acting (less space) (problem, I would have to redo my RAID and lose space in the process)

As  Harigo Neustar suggested, I can recreate the datastore and use vSAN datastore on one host, but once I do that can I migrate the VM from the other host to the vSAN storage?

What about André statement "migrating VM's between ESXi hosts with local storage only is possible with vSphere Essentials Plus licensing (or higher)", is this true? If so what are the hardware/component requirements necessary to make it work?

By the way thanks for all of your inputs, I know I'm gaining a lot knowledge. I'm just trying to find the quickest cost effective way to do this.

I'm sure that this tread is going to help a lot other people who may be trying to do the same thing. 

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

A "vSphere Essentials Plus" supports   coldmigration and enchanced svMotion and the later means that the VM change the location of a Host and Datastore in the same time. So you can migrate a running VM from HostA and datastoreX to HostB and datastoreY.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
stevan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks I will go this route.

0 Kudos
stevan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One last question do i need one or two license of Sphere Essentials Plus?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The above will work if you have all Hosts managed by the same vCenter.  A Essential Plus Bundle will include licenses for up to 3 Host with 2 sockets each and one Instance of vCenter.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos