VMware Cloud Community
itcgSupport
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 5.5 management interfaces not responding

I've got a vSphere 5.5 Essentials Kit; One of the hosts, a Dell R410, is running vSphere 5.5 and as of yesterday it is unresponsive to any of the management tools. I've tried the following:

Web interface: Down

SSH Port: Connection Timeout

vCenter says disconnected

vSphere Client: An unkown error occured. (The client could not send a complete request to the server. (The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occured on a send.))

Local terminal: I tried to log in (entered my credentials), but then the login panel locked. Unresponsive to keyboard input.

All my virtual machines are still running and i don't see any other way out than to shut down all vm's remotely using ssh/rdp and than hard reset the server, but that's my last option. I know i only have a "subscription only" support, however I'd think VMWare would have interest in this situation.

Any suggestions on how to 'revive' my management interfaces?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
VirtualFrank419
Contributor
Contributor

Host Management uses the hostd, ntpd, sfcbd, slpd, wsman, and vodb services. If you can find a way to remotely reset these you might be ok. If there are other hosts in the cluster still available I would try to load the vMA virtual app and try to reset the services from there. Also try to run resxtop and see if there is a run away process that is causing the issue. Hope this helps.

Byron Schaller | @byronschaller | vbyron.com/blog | Certifications: MCSE: Private Cloud; MCTS: Exchange, Hyper-V; CCNP: Data Center; CCNP: Security; CCNP; CCDP; BCNE; VCP5-DCV; VCP5-DT; VCP5-Cloud; NCIE; EMCTA - VNX Solutions; EMC Cloud Architect ITaaS Expert; ITIL Foundations V3; CNSS 4013
0 Kudos