VMware Cloud Community
ArrowSIVAC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter 6 Appliance - AD Integration Group Failing to add Rights

Fresh build and installation of vCenter 6u1.   Single AD environment.  Basic setup of nodes migrated from working and existing vCenter 6 (windows installation) into this new installation (aka AD works and is working with other vCenter 6 still).

Setup was per guide i found online + made my own notes:

##################

Now Join system authentication to AD and set permissions:

http://wojcieh.net/vcenter-server-appliance-6-vcsa-configuration/

pastedImage_4.png

Input Domain Details: Example  "ibm.aessatl.arrow.com"

pastedImage_6.png

Test

pastedImage_9.png

Assign "IBM\Domain Admins" to top level rights of vCenter

Global Permissions -> "+"

pastedImage_11.png

Select group "domain admins"

pastedImage_13.png

Add

pastedImage_14.png

Set Permission for vCenter based on same steps above

pastedImage_15.png

Now set the SSO permission for the appliance

vCenter Home -> Administration ->Manage

pastedImage_17.png

################

When I login, I get "no inventory"

When I add a user from AD it give me rights (aka AD working), so it is some kind of group permission issue.

Nothing I see in logs to guide to help debug this.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ArrowSIVAC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After several attempts..  reloading ..  using test systems.. I figured out the way to get it to work.

You have to get the vCenter server to join AD.. not just add AD as an authentication source.

Example:

1) Remove all current AD / LDAP sources and assigned permissions first

2) Join vCenter appliance to AD

Login to vCenter via SSO administrator account -> Home -> Administration (left menu) -> Deploy (left menu) -> System Configuration

Select "node" which should list the vCenter server -> Manage (tab on top) -> Advanced -> Active directory -> Choose button "Join"

Input settings for domain (leave organizational unit blank for most customers)  and input "domain admin" user who can join systems to domain

pastedImage_2.png

Task will run and not nothing intelegent.. but no error means success event though java does not refresh that it is now in domain.

Reboot vCenter. Login again as administrator SSO account and view that the vCenter host is in the domain.

pastedImage_1.png

You can also show that the vCenter server is a host in AD as a computer object (Activedirectory Users and computers -> OU "Computers")

pastedImage_6.png

Now return to add the AD as authentication source

Home -> Administration (left menu) ->Single Sign-on (left menu) -> Configuration -> click "+" to add new source

Choose top option of AD and change no other settings

pastedImage_7.png

Last step is to add Group "Domain Admins"  from domain to be member of role "Administrators" of vCenter.

Now when you login as "ibm\jsmith"  you should see objects and have permissions.

Hope this helps someone.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ArrowSIVAC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After several attempts..  reloading ..  using test systems.. I figured out the way to get it to work.

You have to get the vCenter server to join AD.. not just add AD as an authentication source.

Example:

1) Remove all current AD / LDAP sources and assigned permissions first

2) Join vCenter appliance to AD

Login to vCenter via SSO administrator account -> Home -> Administration (left menu) -> Deploy (left menu) -> System Configuration

Select "node" which should list the vCenter server -> Manage (tab on top) -> Advanced -> Active directory -> Choose button "Join"

Input settings for domain (leave organizational unit blank for most customers)  and input "domain admin" user who can join systems to domain

pastedImage_2.png

Task will run and not nothing intelegent.. but no error means success event though java does not refresh that it is now in domain.

Reboot vCenter. Login again as administrator SSO account and view that the vCenter host is in the domain.

pastedImage_1.png

You can also show that the vCenter server is a host in AD as a computer object (Activedirectory Users and computers -> OU "Computers")

pastedImage_6.png

Now return to add the AD as authentication source

Home -> Administration (left menu) ->Single Sign-on (left menu) -> Configuration -> click "+" to add new source

Choose top option of AD and change no other settings

pastedImage_7.png

Last step is to add Group "Domain Admins"  from domain to be member of role "Administrators" of vCenter.

Now when you login as "ibm\jsmith"  you should see objects and have permissions.

Hope this helps someone.