VMware Cloud Community
marypoppins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

the hypervisor and its disk system

Dear All,

I would like to make a virtual server with two little VMs. (In real there will be two virtual server with one-one VM, and both of them will be the other backup system, so I have to plan the worst case scenario when the two VMs should run on the same hardware). It wouldn't be so complicated, because the two vm-s are: an sql server express 2012 on a win 7 pro (or win server 2012 depend on budget) and a special restaurant software on a windows xp (or win 7). The restaurant software now running on a windows xp with dedicated hardware, so I measured a lot of parameters, including cpu usage, disk usage, net usage. As for the sql express it will be a brand-new thing, so I can't make measurements, I can only count the vendors requirements, however I think its load will be relatively low (it is a small business restaurant booking system database). I read a lot of books and articles how to calculate the virtual cpu, rams etc, but all of these about the high end systems. In case of disaster both of VMs will run not only the same machine, but also at the same time. The data grow is insignificant for the two VMs. Because of the budget we can't afford FCoE and ISCSI like disk system, so I can use only local disks. And this disk system is made me confused.

In my head it should be like this for the best budget efficient way : a raid1 on the top of a hardware raid card within the server, and all staff installed on this raid1 (the hypervisor itself, and the two virtual machines). I'm not sure of the partitioning and disk system. Can the hypervisor and the guests on the same partition (and disk at all)? Or should I make 3 separate for them? I would avoid using more than two disks if a raid1 with two disk could be work like a charm.

Any suggestion is welcome.

thank you very much

chr

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

ESXi will automatically partition the installation disk/volume and create the system partitions as well as the VMFS (datastore) partition, so that's no problem at all. However, even with a small budget you should make sure that the RAID controller supports a battery/flash backed write cache option to be able to operate in write-back mode. Without write cache, RAID controllers will work in write-through mode, which is way slower than write-back (> 10x).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

ESXi will automatically partition the installation disk/volume and create the system partitions as well as the VMFS (datastore) partition, so that's no problem at all. However, even with a small budget you should make sure that the RAID controller supports a battery/flash backed write cache option to be able to operate in write-back mode. Without write cache, RAID controllers will work in write-through mode, which is way slower than write-back (> 10x).

André

0 Kudos
marypoppins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much!

I will check this battery/flash backed write cache options.

Have a nice weekend!

chr

0 Kudos