VMware Cloud Community
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

moved vm from esx 5.1 to 5.5 unable to have more then 8 cpu cores

Hi all

I had a VM on esx 5.1 that had 8 vcpu cores.

I moved it to a new host with esx 5.5. The new host has 16 physical cores so I want my VM to have access to all of them.

I fixed the license so now my VM should be getting all 16 of them. I can successfully create a new VM that has access to all the processor cores and power it on.

But when I tried to change my VM settings I am still  getting the same number of cores: 8. 

I don't have vCenter. The move was accomplished by copying the vmx and vmdk file over to the new host and right clicking on the .vmx and selecting "add to inventory".

has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK

so upgrade your hardware at lest to version 9 (vmx-09).

If you create snapshot before upgrade you can revert all changes if you want so I would try to go for HW version 10.

When you edit your VM what is selected for OS under Options tab ->General Options?

Regards,

P.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi TPT,

which license of an ESXi server are you using?

For FREE Hypervisor you can have max. 8 vCPU per VM.

Regards,

P.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi vNEX

I have the Enterprise Plus.

Product: VMware vSphere 5 Enterprise Plus Licensed for 2 physical CPUs (unlimited cores per CPU)

Product Features:

Unlimited virtual SMP

suppose to let me have unlimited vcpus.

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK, just for check:

- which hardware version you have on this VM?

- which operating system is installed inside?

- which OS is selected under General Options for that VM?

Thanks

P.

0 Kudos
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1. hardware version is 7, i do not want to upgrade to 10 because I don't have a vcenter. Can I upgrade to only say 8 or 9?

2. OS is SUSE 11 SP1, 64 bit.

3. unknown, I did not create this VM.

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK

so upgrade your hardware at lest to version 9 (vmx-09).

If you create snapshot before upgrade you can revert all changes if you want so I would try to go for HW version 10.

When you edit your VM what is selected for OS under Options tab ->General Options?

Regards,

P.

0 Kudos
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The OS listed is SUSE10 64bit, i will now change that to 11 since this obviously do not match what is really on there.

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK what's the result?

0 Kudos
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

changed it to suse 11, but i still can get at most 8 cpu cores. 

0 Kudos
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i am trying to find out how to upgrade the VM to hardware version 9, right now it defaults to 10.

0 Kudos
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i need to make another copy of the vm, will take at least 30 minutes. just as an fyi.

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

do you have your host properly licensed/ ie. properly assigned license?

What you see in host Configuration tab -> Software under Licensed Features?

0 Kudos
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

pretty sure i got the right license for it.

If i create brand new VM, i can use all the cores no problems. It is this migrated one that I am having problems with.

Product: VMware vSphere 5 Enterprise Plus Licensed for 2 physical CPUs (unlimited cores per CPU)

Expires: Never

Product Features:

Unlimited virtual SMP

vCenter agent for VMware host

Reliable Memory

vShield Endpoint

vSphere Replication

SR-IOV

vSphere API

Storage APIs

VMsafe

vSphere HA

Hot-Pluggable virtual HW

vSphere vMotion

vSphere FT

vSphere Data Protection

vShield Zones

vSphere DRS

vSphere Storage vMotion

MPIO / Third-Party Multi-Pathing

vSphere Distributed Switch

vSphere Host Profiles

Remote virtual Serial Port Concentrator

vSphere Storage I/O Control

Direct Path vMotion

vSphere Storage APIs for Array Integration

Shared Smart Card Reader

vSphere Storage DRS

vSphere Profile-Driven Storage

vSphere vMotion Metro

vSphere Auto Deploy

vSphere View Accelerator

vSphere App HA

vSphere Flash Read Cache

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you try changing the number of vCPUs by connecting to the ESXi host directly?

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you mean like via the vsphere client? That's what I am using.

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

so what happens when you make a clon of the VM?

or you can maybe try to V2V conversion of that VM with Standalone Converter:

Download VMware vCenter Converter Standalone for P2V Conversion

f10
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ok. How about changing the number of vCPUs from the VM confihuration file i.e. *.vmx file?

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the same thing. the purpose of making a copy is so the original user can carry on using it while i test on the copy.

0 Kudos
TPT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just get an error msg about the wrong number of core/cpu configured

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can you post exact error message and contents of VMware.log please.

Thanks

0 Kudos